AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my HTPC mainly for Beyond TV DVR function and had Firefly mini remote control. It works all fine except that the remote control can not wake up the PC in standby mode. I have to move the mouse or push the power button on the PC to wake it up. This is a hassle. I am wondering if StreamZap or any other IR remote can wake up a standby pc?

·
Registered
637 Posts
streamzap doesnt.

The techs at streamzap have said so too in their forums and faqs.

I got one and wanted to get this functionality working too, but seems I cant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, but you don;t need to:

By default Windows doesn't allow USB devices to wake the PC from S3 (standby). When your PC goes into standby, the power is effectively cut to most of the PC, including (again, by default) the USB ports. The act of losing the power to the USB port creates a 'USB event' which is interpreted as a wake up command, hence your PC would start up immediately after going into standby. The trick is indeed to ensure the receiver is powered, but rather than attach a powered hub, most motherboards have a jumper which allows you to set one or more USB ports to be powered by the 5V SB line rather than the regular 5V line, which means that your receiver will remain powered in standby, and voila! Problem solved.

Just be careful not to put all your USB ports onto the 5VSB line - it can not normally supply enough current, and I have blown a PSU before now doing this. Just set the port you will use for the remote, and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
add this registry key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\usb]

"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000

"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"USBBIOSHacks"= -

This work with MCE but I've read it works for any USB device and S3

- Josh

·
Registered
331 Posts
You may also have to go into Device Manager. Under "USB", unclick any boxes that say "allow Windows to turn off this device to save power".

Still in Device Manager, under HID devices (I think), go to the power management tabs on all the devices, and click "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

The whole process is DEFINITELY not user friendly, but worthwhile once you have it working.

·
Registered
33 Posts
WRT registry hacks, you only need the first one - USBBIOSx = DWORD:0x00000000 for this to work.

Good call about mentioning that you should stop Windows being helpful and switching off power to the port - defeating the object otherwise!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Nobody here mentioned that the type of wakeup operation requested also has hardware dependancies. Your power supply has to support ACPI (2001+) and be compliant with PCI version 2.3 (which differs from PCI 2.2 by compliance with Intel's PCI Bus Power Management Interface Specification. The way they express it:

"The use of Instantly Available PC technology requires operating system support and PCI 2.3 compliant power supply, motherboard, add-in PCI cards, and add-in PCI Express cards. All drivers for these devices must conform to Intel QRTD (Quick Resume Technology Drivers) specification."

This means for example that your scheme to use a remote as described could be frustrated by an older power supply, or a non-compliant USB2 port (either on the motherboard or add-in card) that does not conform to PCI 2.3. This spec is dated 2001 and as long as you have refreshed every piece of hardware and the operating system and the driver software since 2001 with compliant hardware, you should meet the requirements.

Congress mandated this power saving feature in complete PCs sold in 2001+, but there is nothing to prevent anyone from selling individual motherboards or add-on cards or power supplies that do not conform to PCI 2.3 even today. In fact a quick survey of what one can buy at CompUSA showed that most available hardware conforms to the older PCI 2.2 spec and will not support the new power operating modes.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.