1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is what I would like to turn on/off and have control :

- Yamaha AV Receiver (No ethernet)

- LED LG 47LM7600 (WIFI)

- HTPC running Windows 8 and XBMC (HDMI - Ethernet)

- TV Cable DVR box (HDMI Input - Ethernet)

Right now I'm using:

- the Yamaha AV receiver remote to turn it on, handle AV receiver volume and change HDMI input...

- The LG Magic remote to turn the TV on...

- The iPhone or XBOX Controller to control the HTPC...

- The iPhone to control TV menu when not using the LG Magic remote

- The TV Cable provider remote to change channels when watching TV

So it's a nightmare... can I replace all that using a single remote device?

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Your cable remote can likely control everything, especially if you get a JP1 cable. So can your iPhone. A $2500 remote can also do everything you ask. Do you have any other requirements to narrow it down a little?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1468554/which-remote-or-device-to-turn-on-off-and-control-all-these-devices#post_23211180

Your cable remote can likely control everything, especially if you get a JP1 cable. So can your iPhone. A $2500 remote can also do everything you ask. Do you have any other requirements to narrow it down a little?

Mm... I dont know how my cable remote can control everything. Other requirement... is that it works as a mouse for the HTPC.

My iPhone can control the TV and the HTPC, but it cannot turn the TV on and it cant control the receiver. Also I dont like a touch screen as a remote because I often press the wrong "buttons"

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
If its a JP1 remote, it most definitely can, including the mouse (terrible idea IMO), assuming you get the right IR interface. Post the remote model or try to describe it, and I'll tell you the capabilities.

With iRule, your phone can also control everything.

Other requirements (price, RF, etc.)?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1468554/which-remote-or-device-to-turn-on-off-and-control-all-these-devices#post_23211998

If its a JP1 remote, it most definitely can, including the mouse (terrible idea IMO), assuming you get the right IR interface. Post the remote model or try to describe it, and I'll tell you the capabilities.

With iRule, your phone can also control everything.

Other requirements (price, RF, etc.)?

I need something that can act as a mouse and works well. My HTPC runs Windows 8 and I have found myself requiring a mouse multiple times to have some tasks completed.

I am thinking of a remote that has an integrated touchpad maybe? Also acting as a keyboard is important.

iRule is discarded as I dont like using a touch screen as a remote.

Thank you for your help in advance!

My DVR box is a Motorola DCX3400

This is my TV Cable provider remote:

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
That's actually one of my favorite JP1 remotes. Here's an interesting thread about it. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11728 It's 8 devices internally, does macros, learning, some models are backlit. You can program it just like harmony with free JP1 software. Just add one of the many upgrades we have for MCE mice. All you need is a JP1.3 programming cable.

The reason I think a mouse on a universal remote is a bad idea is because none have a pad more than 8 directions or so, making it much more difficult and awkward to use than a simple iPhone app with a touchpad.

While a keyboard is also possible, it's much more awkward on a remote than on an app or actual keyboard. So it's do-able but the wrong tool for the job.

If you do happen to find the holy grail of a universal remote with full keyboard and mouse, please let us know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1468554/which-remote-or-device-to-turn-on-off-and-control-all-these-devices#post_23212316

That's actually one of my favorite JP1 remotes. It's 8 devices internally, does macros, learning, some models are backlit. You can program it just like harmony with free JP1 software. Just add one of the many upgrades we have for MCE mice. All you need is a JP1.3 programming cable.

The reason I think a mouse on a universal remote is a bad idea is because none have a pad more than 8 directions or so, making it much more difficult and awkward to use than a simple iPhone app with a touchpad.

While a keyboard is also possible, it's much more awkward on a remote than on an app or actual keyboard. So it's do-able but the wrong tool for the job.

Ok... so.. this Remote would work for turning my LG tv ON, my Yamaha receiver ON, and also for accesing menus for both devices... AND... for controlling Windows 8 on my HTPC (XBMC included) ? Would you please recommend me a good software for configuring this? And what are those upgrades you are talking about? Im a IT guy but Im lost here. Thanks!

PD: You mention I need a cable. do i have to connect that JP1.3 cable to the remote?
Im truly lost.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Shoot.

In that case, I'd look at a harmony 650. Keyboard and mouse via num keys, screen and arrow keys, but that's the best you can hope for on a non-smartphone remote. You'll also need to get an MCE IR dongle for your PC of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts