AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a universal remote so that I don't have to use 6 remotes for all of my components. Can you guys lead me in the right direction? Which remote is the best out there? I don't need a remote for any lighting or other devices, only the following home theater items. Here are the components that I currently have...

Yamaha RX-V2700

Sony SXRD 60-A2000

Sony PS3

Direct TV DVR HR-20

Dish Network DVR

Oppo DV 981-HD

I want to be able to use just 1 remote (although I have heard that the PS3 can't be used with a universal).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goceltics34 /forum/post/0

Cost does not matter. I just want an excellent remote but not too difficult to learn.

The Harmony remotes are probably the simplest but the URC remotes are more powerful (macros.....)

If you do buy URC make sure it is from an authorized dealer

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will look into the Harmony line as I don't want to spend too much time programming macros.

With those harmony remotes, will I still be able to have all of the controls of my yamaha av receiver? There are a ton of buttons for many different purposes. How does that work with the harmony remotes? Same with the Direct TV DVR?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Receiver, TV to turn on, PS3, DVD for kid, Direct TV

Basically all of them except the Dish Network DVR

I dont want to lose the ability of my receiver remote, as it has tons of buttons that I grew accustomed to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just the basics and a couple more. Volume, inputs, audio options (straight or dd), standy mode, power. That's about it. Am I going to sorely miss the receiver remote as well as the Direct TV DVR remote after switching to the harmony?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I, too, was starting to do some research, but went and bought a

Universal Remote RF10 with the Power Blaster (allows RF compnents to be operated from another room) from BB as something to use while figuring out what to buy. It was $124 but if I searched online I'm sure I coud save $, but at that price who cares!

I have to say that this seems to be pretty darn easy. One of the plusses to the other remotes I have heard about is programming on your PC. This programming took about 15 minutes total, without PC, so I don't see where the big advantage to that is.

My biggest concern at this point is that this remote won't control other components that have only RF remotes. If the other component has IR or both IR and RF, then it will work! As I am about to purchase a new AV receiver (any suggestions?) and perhaps a new DVD player, I need to pay attention to that. Do the Harmony remotes learn RF as well as IR?

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:

Just the basics and a couple more. Volume, inputs, audio options (straight or dd), standy mode, power. That's about it. Am I going to sorely miss the receiver remote as well as the Direct TV DVR remote after switching to the harmony?

I'm going to bet that when you use the audio option buttons is when you're changing inputs, correct?

When you program any universal remote you will set it up so that when you go to a certain mode(watch dvd) it changes the receiver to a certain audio mode.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of the time yes. I am sure that having a single universal remote instead of 6 individual remote will have far more advantages than disadvantages. Take the very good with the bad I guess. I am going to be getting the Harmony 890 I think. Anyone think I should just get the 880 instead?

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:

Most of the time yes. I am sure that having a single universal remote instead of 6 individual remote will have far more advantages than disadvantages. Take the very good with the bad I guess. I am going to be getting the Harmony 890 I think. Anyone think I should just get the 880 instead?

The 880 and 890 are identical apart from the 890 also having RF ability. If you need RF then the 890 is your only option, if you don't need RF you could also consider the Harmony 720. Some people prefer the shape/layout of this over the 880...all personal preference.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:

I wouldn't recommend the 880 or the 890.

The buttons all feel the same! You have to look at the remote for everything besides channel and volume.

I'd go with the URC MX-850 from Surfremote.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 /forum/post/0

I wouldn't recommend the 880 or the 890.

The buttons all feel the same! You have to look at the remote for everything besides channel and volume.

I'd go with the URC MX-850 from Surfremote.com

Is the URC MX-850 as easy to set up as the 880 or 890?

Anyone else agree with the MX-850?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.