160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a remote under $200 that will consolidate all of my devices:

LG Plasma 50" PV450

Yamaha Receiver RX-V467

HTPC (win7, usb ir remote, etc.)

Verizon FIOS (Motorola settop box)

XBOX (if possible, not really needed to be honest)

Please let me know if there is something out there that can do this and if so, which is the best one!

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Pretty much any universal remote will do what you are asking as long as it supports at least 5 devices.

Are you wanting a PC programmable remote? Do you have any devices that don't have line-of-sight to your remote (requiring an IR repeater or RF universal remote)?

I have a buying guide sticky at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20832750

Pretty much any universal remote will do what you are asking as long as it supports at least 5 devices.

Are you wanting a PC programmable remote? Do you have any devices that don't have line-of-sight to your remote (requiring an IR repeater or RF universal remote)?

I have a buying guide sticky at the top of this forum.

I would like that ability... If the remote could learn the IR commands being sent from my current remote, that would be great. Do any remotes offer the ability to control the mouse??

As for line of sight, my coffee table is annoyingly large and right in the sight of my HTPC and its sometimes difficult to get my cable box... if you have info on budget repeaters in your guide, i'll certainly check it out.

Do any remotes control the mouse and PC commands?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck /forum/post/20832933

I would like that ability... If the remote could learn the IR commands being sent from my current remote, that would be great. Do any remotes offer the ability to control the mouse??

As for line of sight, my coffee table is annoyingly large and right in the sight of my HTPC and its sometimes difficult to get my cable box... if you have info on budget repeaters in your guide, i'll certainly check it out.

Do any remotes control the mouse and PC commands?

With a PC programmable remote you'll probably not have to learn any commands. You would just use the codes already in their database.

You can get the remote to do mouse control on your HTPC, but it usually doesn't work well. It would use the directional pad and would be similar to moving the mouse with the arrow keys on the keyboard. I only do it for the occasional need to click something here or there. For any heavy lifting I break out the AirMouse or just remote login with my laptop.

I'd say the cheapest PC programmable RF remote option would be the discontinued Monster AVL300 .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first review on the link you provided is pretty detailed. I like the punch through feature. This seems like it has pretty good value compared to the logitech, would you agree? Also, how do i configure it to control my PC? Its a custom PC and the remote I'm using is an off brand remote.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck /forum/post/20833447

Sounds good to me... before I pull the trigger on this, is there anything else I should consider? This deal seems really good...

The software to program the remote sucks. If you can make it through programming then you would be set.

You may or may not like the ergonomics of the remote.

For the price and for what it is capable of it is a pretty good deal. I've never used it, but I have used the Harmony 890.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.