Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a universal remote for me new setup. I have the following:

Sony 55" SXRD television

2 R10 Directv/Tivo DVRs

1 HR20-700 Directv HD DVR

Oppo DV-981HD Upconverting DVD player

And I hope to add a surround sound system soon. Probably Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer receiver.

My question is, can the Harmony remotes control more than one DVR (each separately)? What remote would you, the experts, recommend for this setup?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,604 Posts
This is going to be tough because your various DVRs all use the same IR codes. That is, they won't know that a given command coming from your programmable remote is directed to one of them and not the other.

These DVRs have the ability to use alternate remote identifiers so that you can set multiple remotes up where each remote only triggers actions in one of the DVRs. But I don't know how you would set a programmable remote like the Harmony products to issue variant commands that way.

In the case of the Harmony remotes, you would likely need the assistance of tech support to make this work. You would set up any one of your DVRs as a "device" and then you would have to ask them to finagle your configuration file on their server to add additional copies of that device (with different names), and with the coding sets for each of them changed to one of the alternate codings the DVRs can recognize.

Then you would have to go into the setup menu for each DVR and match it to the IR coding the Harmony sends out when sending commands from the "device" paired for that particular DVR.

Now once you've done all THAT, the rest is easy. Each DVR will get its own Device page for direct control. In addition, you set up one or more Activites for using each DVR -- probably with the Watch DVR template. As part of the setup for that the setup software will ask you which of your devices should be used to tune channels during that activity.

--Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's not that tough, shouldn't need Harmony tech support. Pretty sure most of the alternate address Tivo codes are in the Harmony database already. Just set your original remotes + the DVRs to the address you want to use, then follow the Harmony setup wizard & it should find the right code set. Worst case you just learn all the commands.

Newbies - I see a ton of you always post the first time, asking "what remote for this equipment" then posting big equipment lists. These are universal remotes, with learning capabilities. Your equipment doesn't matter! As long as it's using relatively std IR control, any universal remote should work. Just stay away from cheap pseudo-universal remotes, preprogrammed only without learning, that would be better described as "multi-brand/device" remotes. The equipment you want to control is irrelevant unless it is something special using non-IR remote, like some Bose Lifestyle systems, Sony PS3, some home-automation products. For those cases no universal will work, unless there exists some IR control module add-on for that product (as there does for PS3, allowing partial control).

Your questions should be more along the lines of what features you want on the remote (macro/activity ability, PC IR code database access, RF capability for multi-room control or controlling hidden equipment etc.), form factor (buttons / LCD size / touchscreen), price range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.