AVS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Regarding the Dialup option... You don't "need" an MSNTV/WebTV account to get the UTV OS download. It does help however in "testing" your UTV's general connectivity conditions.

As you've pointed out if you are having issues staying/getting connected you want to check the UTV's settings to make sure it is giving you the best shot possible to connect. Disabling Call Waiting and making sure it isn't dialing a prefix (9) before dialing out are some simple trouble shooting options.

·
Registered
17,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/13047895

If the drive is not previously formatted (new out of the box)... I don't think the UTV will need to "Reformat" (Flashing lights) the drive... So it might just dialup and download the software rather quickly (As fast as a 56K Modem can go).

The unit always formats the drive prior to downloading the software when you put a different one in.

·
Registered
719 Posts
DonMart: the winhex program requires a $50 shareware fee. I bought it because I've hacked my utv's quite a bit.

I've heard there are other programs one can use, e.g. there's supposed to be one that you can use as a trial for 30 days, but I can't recall what it was called.

x-ways software sells winhex. http://www.x-ways.net/winhex/index-m.html

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/13094168

The unit always formats the drive prior to downloading the software when you put a different one in.

True that the UTV always FORMATS the drive. My point was that it may not take as long with an "unformatted" drive vs a previously formatted (UTV?)drive.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/12926825

160GB drives are more common today VS 120GB Drives (and just as cheap or cheaper then 120GB drives you'll find in some cases). While the UTV won't see 23GB of a 160GB (or more on a larger drive) it does offer more Recording space then a 120GB Drive. So I disagree with your 110GB recording "limit". 110 Hours (UTV approx recording time) might be what you ment to say (for 160GB+ Drives).

My point is you will not see more than 110 hours of recording time irrespective HD size 120GB or larger.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMart /forum/post/13070759

BTW rocket, I do have a USB enclosure and am PC savey, so was thinking of going this way. I don't know about the winhex program or were to get it.

DonMart if you are computer savy enough then you will beable to find WinHex and not have to pay the $50...

but you didn't hear that from me

·
Registered
142 Posts
Curious on the ATA requirements, most write-ups on UTV HD upgrades call for ATA-3 security. I'm looking at an Seagate DB35 Series 7200.3 ST3160215SCE - HD - 160 GB that has Serial ATA-300. The DB35 series claims to be DVR optimized.

I can't seem to find a direct statement on the Internet that ATA-300 is backwards, or the same as ATA-3. The "Weakknees'" upgrade package looks to use the DB35 ATA-100, at least in their product PDF link. $25 on eBay versus theirs at $199 is tempting.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A Hard Drive with a Serial ATA Interface will not work with a UTV.

You will need a hard drive with a "traditional" IDE (EIDE, Parallel ATA or PATA) interface. (137GB supported by UTV, but a larger drive will work to, usually 160GB drives are popular with UTVs...)

They are less common on the shelves these days... but they are still out there. Ebay is one place to go if you can't find any "on the shelf". I would recommend you stick with the Seagate models (It is possible there are two versions of the same model SATA or PATA so be careful). Seagate offers a 5 year warranty on it's new drives and from my experience they do a good job with replacements.

The Replacement drive will "carry" the remainder of the original warranty. So for example my 2005 Seagate 160GB drive died and my 160GB replacement is still "covered" until 2010.

Good Luck and don't forget to pull the access card BEFORE opening the cover.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/14108127

A Hard Drive with a Serial ATA Interface will not work with a UTV.

You will need a hard drive with a "traditional" IDE (EIDE, Parallel ATA or PATA) interface. (137GB supported by UTV, but a larger drive will work to, usually 160GB drives are popular with UTVs...)

Thanks. I'm looking at the following that seem to fit the bill:

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160Gb ATA/133

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB ATA100 EIDE Hard Drive

Western Digital 160GB PATA EIDE hard drive WD1600JB

Western Digital Caviar WD1200 120GB HD EIDE 7200rpm

I tried searching for 7200rpm.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 /forum/post/14112926

Thanks. I'm looking at the following that seem to fit the bill:

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160Gb ATA/133

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB ATA100 EIDE Hard Drive

Western Digital 160GB PATA EIDE hard drive WD1600JB

Western Digital Caviar WD1200 120GB HD EIDE 7200rpm

I tried searching for 7200rpm.

7200RPM isn't a "requirement" for use with a UTV. The original 40GB/80GB(?) drives were 5400RPM and many of the popular early replacement drives (WD 120GB AB (not JB) models rings a bell) were 5400RPM.

There had been a cost and compatibility difference back in the day for some 5400 vs 7200 drives so that and questions of "improved" performance on various levels did divide UTVers on what was the "best" option available.

Depending on you existing PC setup you might even consider pulling your "old" IDE drive and using that on your UTV... Then you can potentially upgrade your PC to either a newer larger IDE/PATA drive and/or a SATA Drive (adapters may be required).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts