AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is 720P, which 1080i, which 480P, etc. for the OTA CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, UPN, etc.

I live in Detroit.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
ABC - 720p

Fox - 480P

All others 1080i

Not positive with UPN and WB, but I'm pretty sure 1080i.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just to clarify any confusion...

The post above is correct. Right now, it is easiest to remember the following...

All of the networks which are doing high definition have chosen 1080i, with only the following exceptions:

*ABC (which is doing 720p);

*ESPN-HD (which has also chosen 720p);

*FOX Network (which is doing NO high definition, and has chosen to go with only 480p, which pales horribly in comparison);

The above statement applies to not only the major networks, but also the HBOs, the Showtimes, the HDnets, et cetera.

===

Now, there are quite a few local channels in specific areas which are broadcasting a digital signal but do not yet have the equipment to actually pass on the above signals. So, you need to check, or perhaps someone from your area (Cleveland) will respond. In other words, NBC is definitely broadcasting in 1080i, but some people's local channels still have not purchased the necessary equipment to actually pass this through to their local customers, yet they are sending a signal on their local digital channel. In many cases it is an upconverted 480i signal, cpnverted so it sent to the customers at 1080i. In other areas, it is only a 480i signal, with no conversion, and is simply being simulcast from their regular analog channel while they wait until they can purchase the necessary expensive equipment.

===

Also, WB is currently doing 1080i (although not a lot of it);

Also, PBS is doing 1080i.

Also, UPN has chosen to go with 1080i, as well, but they have yet to broadcast any true high definition. They have announced they will, sometime this fall.

===

Hope this helps,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

·
Registered
67 Posts
In addition it depends on if the station wants to transmit at the level the network sends them. WCPO(CBS)Cincinnati will never transmit in HDTV. Why? Because they use rest of their digital channel for wireless internet (not much room for HDTV). Some stations are opting for multicasting, especially in medium to small markets where some stations pick up another network or create a local news channel, local weather channel, etc... on their multicast channels.

PAX has chosen 480i and multicasting, their current equiptment will allow upto 6 multicasts.

PBS wants to multicast and do 1080i, they have experimented and have been able to transmit a 1080i and a 480i at the same time with no degradition to the 1080i signal. PBS actually asked to keep their analog channels and their digital channels so that they could offer 1080i on their old analog channel and multicast on their digital channel. Basically they were told NO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.