AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, if you want to see the equipment I have you can go to http://web.randomelectron.com:8089/hometheater.html to make things easier. My question is: Should i upgrade the receiver first or just go ahead and get speakers and get 5.1 sound. Basically my receiver is outdated (5 years old) and is Dolby Digital and not DTS but my dvd player has it. Right now I have polk speakers for mains but I was planning on using them as rears and get better mains and matching center. Which way would you guys go first....new receiver or get new mains and center and move polks in rear so I can have 5.1 sound with outdated receiver? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Charm:

My vote would be for speakers first. That way you can enjoy DD and upgrade the receiver when you can afford it. I have a "temporary" receiver but I am waiting for a digital connection for hi-res audio before I upgrade. In the meantime, I am listening to multichannel music and videos.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd go for the 5.1 sound. It's not home theater until you have 5.1 (or more). You'll be amazed at how much more fun it is to watch some movies with surround effects.

--Burke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Charm:

If you upgrade the receiver without the additional speakers you still don't have HT (i.e. 5.1 or better) sound. Upgrade the speakers and I would recommend listening to the LSi Polk speakers when you shop around. If you like Polk you'll love the LSi series which you could use for the L/R mains (towers or bookshelf) and center channel unit. Polk can even recommend a good timbre match with your existing speakers.

Don

·
Registered
27,201 Posts
Speakers.

They are a solid upgrade and if you already have DD, the addition of DTS won't make a significant difference in your system. High resolution systems yield marginal gains with DTS. Typically, DTS is recorded at a higher level with juiced rears. DD can mimic this with adjustments in volume and rear speaker levels.

Speakers are a good, long term investment.

There are few receivers with DVI inputs, component switching, DTS ES and other nice goodies. The ones that do have those upgrades are expensive and when you are ready will be down in price.

Speakers!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree w/ the others. Speakers.

The 800's that you have are fine speakers and they's serve you well rears. I have polks as well, and I have been really pleased with their performance. I have been a polk fan for a long time, and nowadays you really have to watch, as they now make a range of quality from Superb (like the LSi series) to not-so-hot (like some of the low end stuff the superstores carry). Polk is still a fine brand - just know what you're getting.

Once you make this investment though, it may reaveal some of the limitations of your current reciever/source equipment. Fortunately, really feature-packed/powerful/reliable receivers are available for not much money - especially if you are willing to go with a used one.

Good Luck,

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.