AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw the Sony 4k XBR55X850B at Best Buy the other day and was very impressed with the wonderful colors and picture quality. The picture was shown right next to a Samsung UNHU8550 and imo, the SONY had a much better picture.

However, went home to do more research and Im finding a few cons with the Sony model:

-No local dimming
-Lower contrast ratio

Is there a Samsung 4K tv that will produce a similar picture with the great colors, but offer the local dimming and a higher contrast ratio?

I'm sure it will be more expensive than the SONY, but I do not mind paying a little more.

Alternatively, I was considering the SONY x900b, but I'm not a fan of the speakers at all.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
The only samsung tvs that can completely match sony colors is the js8500 and js9000/9500. I owned both tvs you mentioned and I agree with you the sony had the more impressive picture but I returned it because of reasons you listed and the horrible motion rating that tv has. The 8550 will get much better with its brain upgrade in april but can't say exactly how much.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Saw the Sony 4k XBR55X850B at Best Buy the other day and was very impressed with the wonderful colors and picture quality. The picture was shown right next to a Samsung UNHU8550 and imo, the SONY had a much better picture.
That big difference could just have been an issue caused by improper settings on the Samsung. You can't visually compare TVs in a store environment, there are too many variables in the feed and settings etc.

However, went home to do more research and Im finding a few cons with the Sony model:

-No local dimming

-Lower contrast ratio
How effective is Samsung's "local dimming" since it's an edge-lit TV? Does it provide any real-world advantage over the Sony? Is it superior to the Sony in this regard? Do you really need this feature for the content you watch?

As for claimed contrast ratios, they're mostly just claims for marketing purposes so take any printed CR specs with a grain of salt. I've seen greatly exaggerated CR specs then it turns out the TV's actual CR doesn't live up to the claimed number in real world viewing.

Is there a spec I can look at to know if the color will be as good as the SONY tv without viewing it side-by-side?
Aside from a pre-calibration report from an ISF calibrator, i don't think you can fully trust or believe any claimed color performance in the marketing specs on any TV.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You want quite get colors that match Sony's with a Samsung. But you can get close. JS9000 will do the trick, but the upscaleing is still a little better on the Sony.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That big difference could just have been an issue caused by improper settings on the Samsung. You can't visually compare TVs in a store environment, there are too many variables in the feed and settings etc.

How effective is Samsung's "local dimming" since it's an edge-lit TV? Does it provide any real-world advantage over the Sony? Is it superior to the Sony in this regard? Do you really need this feature for the content you watch?

As for claimed contrast ratios, they're mostly just claims for marketing purposes so take any printed CR specs with a grain of salt. I've seen greatly exaggerated CR specs then it turns out the TV's actual CR doesn't live up to the claimed number in real world viewing.

Aside from a pre-calibration report from an ISF calibrator, i don't think you can fully trust or believe any claimed color performance in the marketing specs on any TV.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
I'm not sure how effective it would be since I'm not an expert on it, but doing my research on the SONY models, the lack of local dimming is a commonly listed con regarding the model.
Commonly listed con by whom? Reviewers? Owners? Non-Owners? Sony haters?

And why is it listed as a con when the vast majority of edge-lit LCD TVs also do not have this feature in the first place?

How exactly does the lack of local dimming adversely affect the Sony's picture quality or performance?

And how can it be local dimming if all the LEDs are located around the edges and not actually behind the panel like they are on a FALD TV?

For instance, my W800B does not have local dimming but the picture quality is very good. What would local dimming do to improve my PQ?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Commonly listed con by whom? Reviewers? Owners? Non-Owners? Sony haters?

And why is it listed as a con when the vast majority of edge-lit LCD TVs also do not have this feature in the first place?

How exactly does the lack of local dimming adversely affect the Sony's picture quality or performance?

And how can it be local dimming if all the LEDs are located around the edges and not actually behind the panel like they are on a FALD TV?

For instance, my W800B does not have local dimming but the picture quality is very good. What would local dimming do to improve my PQ?

I see you are doing your level best to defend Sony but yes, 'local dimming' makes a huge difference. My 8550 and 9000 had inky blacks that added much more 'depth' than on my 850B. The "Smart LED" set to 'high' darkens the screen by probably 30-40% and the Sony's darkest was lighter than set to "off".....That is substantial for PQ. Not to mention, it completely ruins dark scenes and you lose any immersion seeing bright lights shining through your blacks........ I could see the Sony's gray blacks even during daytime viewing. Letterbox bars on the Sony were gray, not black. The Samsungs looked like the pixels were shut off..... I'll take, as I'm sure many others would, deep black over slightly better color. Samsung has very vibrant color that pops off the screen, not as accurate as Sony and a little over-saturated but deep, bright and vivid. There is no way I could notice a difference without a side-by-side. Regarding the black levels, no side-by-side is necessary. The difference is night and day.

Take a look for yourself at a full "black" screen on the 850B below. I don't have pics of the Samsung's but trust me, and any owner will tell you there is no comparison. Right now I am auditioning a Vizio 70" P and the FALD is ridiculous, darker than my Samsung Plasma. Night scenes and black textures like suits, dresses, hats etc. etc. are absolutely gorgeous. The only improvement would be OLED. You would not even believe you are watching an LCD. The 4k rendition is very detailed and has the same "wow" factor as the U9000. Much better than the 850B. To get even anywhere close to the 8550 black levels without dimming, you would have to receive a near perfect panel with 0 issues like flash-lighting/clouding and light bleed. An effectively impossible task. Even then the panel just cannot produce as deep of blacks. At any rate, the Samsung's are closer to the Vizio than the Sony.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts