AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 series or 5 series, b or c? Any thoughts? Looking for best PQ ( disregard 720 vs 1080 please) and IR protection and AR. I am ready to take the leap!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, at this point, the whole IR issue, buzz, concern with glare has got me freaked. Im a little concerned with the issues of exchanging from amazon (my purchase choice with gift cards) so Id rather know for sure. This stuff is like a virus. It gets hold of you and wont let you go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It depends...I believe the consensus is that the C-series has improved in many areas over the B-series...blacks/contrast/efficiency/design. The 450 vs. 550 depends. I'm with the crowd who believes you cannot readily distinguish detail between 720p/1080p signals....I also own a 1080p LCD and through Blu-Ray both sets look equally sharp/crisp (and the LCD is even larger)....however, features and contrast/processing are usually better on the 1080p models...but at a price premium.

IMO, I wouldn't necessarily buy a 1080p set for the enhanced detail or other improvements, but for the extra features in glare/extra inputs/etc. it may be worthwhile for you to spend the extra cash. I have a 450 and couldn't be happier with it - I spent the extra money I saved on a blu-ray player.

As for the hum/buzz...its present, but sounds more like a hum and sounds more like a normal TV noise rather than a loud/annoying buzz. I find that my blu-ray player is louder and more annoying than the hum from the 450. Just keep in mind other online retailers exchange/return policies...some people around here want a completely silent TV and think the buzz issue is a major deal. Not an issue with me - and I have mine in a small/quiet bedroom with no type of sound system/sound bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought the 2010 pn58c550. I have had it about 1 week . The p/g is very very good,even with regular dvds. The buzz is slightly there but no louder than any other tv only noticeable with volume at 12 or under. It is equal volume to the samsung blu ray player. The design is really nice and much improved over the 09 model . Its also looks about 1/2 inch slimmer. Viewing from the side also excellent . For the price I think it is a great deal ,and for the size it has that smaller size tight look too .

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've had my Sammy for a couple of months and yep, there is a hum. If I sit 8 feet away or more, can I hear it if I have the volume higher than 5 (on a scale of 1-50)? Nope. My belief is that there's probably a handful of Samsung plasmas out there that are truly loud buzzers and a whole bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon if their sets have any kind of buzz at all.

If I knew I wouldn't be watching any Blu-Ray discs and money was a factor, I would get the series. That is some serious picture for $750.

·
Registered
6 Posts
from what i have read themajority of people that have problems with the tv buzzing live in high altitude areas. i would love do do a study on here one day by posting a thead to have everyone that has the buzzing problem to post the elevation where they live. see i live in Texas where it is typically hot and not high elevation and i think i read somewhere that cold and high elevation causes a lot of that

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live at over 7000 ft and no buzz even with my ear next to the set, with my new PN50B650 S1F XZA. Made in Juarez, Mx on 1/31/2010. It would be an interesting survey I agree. It would also be interesting to gather other data like where and when the set was manufactured. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a capacitor or or some other part in the power supply turns out to be the culprit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased the PN58C550 tv, and I only have a very minimal buzz to mine. Nothing to get upset over or be annoyed by. I am impressed with the pq, even though I have my brightness/contrast turned down very low ( also zoomed in to push static logos off the screen) while I break it in. Has any one posted a thread on recommended settings for this unit?

Also, I've noticed my unit has a slight(noticible) back tilt to the unit while sitting on the

factory stand(pedastal). has anyone else noticed this as well, If its normal then I may shim the back two grommets to lvl it abit. Im kinda apprehensive about removing the stand and making adjustments.

For what its worth, HHGregg had both these units ( 58B550 abd 58C550) within 5 feet of each other, I couldnt tell teh difference. But for just another 100 or so dollars I went with the newest model.

PS> Never mind my forum name, this account is from a few years ago. Samsung and I made up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah the Set tends to tilt back, i had to put a block between the back of the set and the wall to keep it up straight.

Don't even try to fix the stand, believe me i tried!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts