AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a LCD projector for a little while.

Finally, I'm settling down with Sanyo. Liked the XP21N over the XP18N because of the MLA. However, the XP21N does not have DVI or vertical lens shift. Now the XP30 has both features, the question is does the XP30 have MLA? and is the output equal to or better than the XP21N? The specs say XP21N has 800 video lines while the XP30 only has 700. Furthermore, with the XP45 on the way, and it has all the features that I wanted (I heard it has MLA, but didn't say on specs) should I be waiting for it? But with a whooping 3500 Lumens, will it be to bright and will I get viewing fatigue? What to do? Can anyone help? TIA.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
XP30 does not have MLA. However, the new XP45 will have it, along with lens shift. I don't know about DVI.

Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got the same question--is 3500 limens too much for a home theater? I'm sitting about 16 to 18 ft back, some ambient during the day.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If its not bright enough,just get two. They are stackable.

The only probelm is that the XP45 hasn't been released. I wonder if it will have DVI/HDCP?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The consesus among those who acually have seen and own projectors having 2500 to 3500 lumens is that this is NOT too much light, and in fact, less is not enough.

------------------

Joe

Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Nobody is talking about the UXGA (1200 x 1600), 7700 lumens, 800:1 contrast UF10. Is the $59,995 MSRP scaring people away?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I was thinking my son MIGHT need to go to college some day.

------------------

Joe

Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Hey, I figured it out. When your bulb dims down to 80% (and stays there for the remainder of its usable life?), you're going to NEED a 3000 to 3500 lumen projector to end up where you want to be i.e. 2400 to 2800. We have to plan on losing 20%.

------------------

Joe

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly"

Where does that line come from, Joe?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Oh Brother, where art thou. You gotta see it. Twice.

------------------

Joe

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you want DVI and MLA, take a look at the Panasonic 6500. I believe the list is $10k on it. 3600 lumens, 600:1 contrast. I have seen this projector and the contrast *actually* comes close to spec. It has very, very good contrast for an LCD and the MLA does reduce screen door (it is still noticeable). It has two bulbs and two power settings for the bulbs for a total of four brightness settings. It also have optical lens shifting. I was quite impressed!

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
NOPE!

Dan

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow!!! the responds are fast. I guess I will wait for the XP45 to ship and take a look at it before I plunk down the money. Thanks guys! great forum!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have seen the XP21, but never in a direct comparison. I couldn't honestly make a comparison, the XP21 was at Infocomm and I didn't take a good look at it (damn QXGA kept sucking me in!). I can say that the Panasonic impressed me with their contrast, it was definitely a cut above the other LCD's I had seen.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have my yes on the sanyo PLC-XF20 but I just discovered a Eik WXGA with a 3000 lummnes.

There is no such a thing too bright, but there too many not bright enough. Rick

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have read alot of posts that the XP30 does not have MLA. It does however have the same bulb as the PLV 60 but with over double the light output. Are we certain the XP 30 does not have MLA. What is the source of this information?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've looked through all of the brochures and specs, and I'm not sure how people are getting information that the XP45 has MLA. In fact, nothing in the literature says that any of the projectors (the XP21N included) has MLA. Is there any way to figure this out for sure?

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.