AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to New Albany, IN (across from Louisville, KY). My new house has a round DirecTV dish and a single standard receiver. It also has cable but no HDTV offered here with cable yet. My question is which satellite service offers better deals for new customers that wants HDTV? I'm a newbie for HDTV so please help me out. I'll summarize what I know I need:

1) HDTV capable PJ or TV: I have NEC LT150 with prog. component or VGA input.

2) HDTV sat. receiver with OTA module: Dish6000 for Dish Network or RCA DTC-100 for DTV.

3) Needs new second HDTV sat. dish for either Dish Network or DirecTV.

4) Subscribe to Premium packages with HDTV channels like HBO-HD, Showtime HD, etc.

Which is the more cost effective?

For regular satellite service Dish Network seems to provide better deals: $50 activation fee gets you free installation, leased equipment for up to 4 receivers, dish, warranty during subscription, 1st 3 months free, and monthly fee of $52 for America's Top 100 plan for 4 TVs (including the lease fee of $5/mo. per TV).

While DirecTV, I'll need 3 additional receivers (I already have one old but functional receiver) for $198 (free dish and 1st receiver, $99/receiver installed cost (1 year warranty for the 3 new receivers, none for the old receiver)), 3 months free Starz, similar monthly subscription fee for 4 TVs ($32/mo Total Choice Base Package + $5/mo./additional TV). Wonder what I can do with the extra dish (has a dish on roof already from previous owner)--I guess as a spare :D.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
This has been debated numerous times before. Do a search and I'm sure you 'll find what your looking for.:)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, should've known this topic has been beaten to death. Just read lots of posts on this topic here and other forums. Sounds like it's a wash for either as far as HDTV especially with possible merger coming of the 2. Cost wise, Dish seems to be more cost effective due to less equipment cost initially especially since I qualify for CBS-HD where I live. Thanks for the help. Sorry for the redundant question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.