AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung HLR4667 with a Samsung HD850 upconvert DVD player connected to it via HDMI. My question is this: Currently I have the HD850 upconverting to 720p out through the HDMI connection which is the native resolution of the television. Assuming it doesn't create lip sync or macroblocing issues, would I be better off (since the dvd player uses a Zoran chip) having the DVD player send out 480p and then having the television do the upvonvert to 720p since it has the better Farojouda chip in it? And if so, what is the value of having an upconvert DVD player other than the HDMI out of you have a high end television? Thanks for your opinions and insight in advance.

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
One advantage of an upscaling player is that it allows a digital transfer of the signal to the display over HDMI/DVI, thus avoiding an unecessary D-to-A conversion, followed immediately by an A-to-D reconversion. The best way to know whether you're better off sending a 480p or 720p signal to your DLP is to compare them, and go with whichever looks best to you.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BillP, Good point about the absence of analog conversion to pass the signal between devices. I will try to figure out which looks better although I beleive when I tried before the difference if any was too negligable to see.

On a side note, does anyone know of some DVD players that have firewire IEEE1394 out? I use firewire with my DVHS to TV and DLink makes things a lot easier.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I have a 720P native display (RP LCD) and I find with my 850 that sending 720p looks best. I get a little noise with 480P or 1080i. Just curious...can you disable progressive scan on the 850 and send 480i? My TV does a great job with game consoles and 480i signals...

·
Banned
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks AMARTIN,

On your question it doesn't look like you can send 480i through HDMI. You may be able to through component. I didn't check that.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer my own question I tested using the DVD scaler to 720p against setting the DVD scaler to 480p and letting the TV scale up to 720p and setting the DVD player to scale 720p through HDMI won hands down. The image was much more lifelike, 3d, and closer to HD quality.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat
have you tried component at 480i... works best in my setup.
480i doesn't come up as an option through HDMI. Are you sending that through the component outs?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
If your display has faroudja, then I would recommend sending 480i (even if its over component). Sure, hdmi is digital but it doesn't make up for the inferior deinterlacer of the 850 vs the Faroudja of your display.

·
Registered
983 Posts
no its through component and it is much better picture than hdmi....

so much for buying a tv that had to have two hdmi slots....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.