AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the scenario I want below in BLUE:

HDTV >> HDMI >> Receiver

HD Cable Box >> HDMI >> Receiver (passing audio/video)

Will the picture quality be any different than the standard scenario below in RED:

HD Cable Box >> Optical >> Receiver

HD Cable Box >> HDMI >> HDTV (passing audio/video)

I'm just worried that HDMI ports on receivers will change the quality of the picture if the HD Cable Box and HD TV runs directly off of HDMI through the receiver?

For example some people say you get a better internet connection wired than wireless!!! Catch my drift????

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solodolo /forum/post/16979562

This is the scenario I want below in BLUE:

HDTV >> HDMI >> Receiver

HD Cable Box >> HDMI >> Receiver (passing audio/video)

Will the picture quality be any different than the standard scenario below in RED:

HD Cable Box >> Optical >> Receiver

HD Cable Box >> HDMI >> HDTV (passing audio/video)

I'm just worried that HDMI ports on receivers will change the quality of the picture if the HD Cable Box and HD TV runs directly off of HDMI through the receiver?

For example some people say you get a better internet connection wired than wireless!!! Catch my drift????

You want to bypass the receiver for video and bypass the TV for audio, meaning use the optical/digital of the receiver to the optical/digital audio of cable/satellite box. Then use a direct HDMI connection between the TV and cable/satellite box. You don't want to add the extra burden of VP if you don't have to.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I use HDMI directly into the tv from my blu ray, and r/g/b component directly into my tv for the HD cable box (works with fewer glitches than HDMI and equal pic quality.) For video.

Then I use Optical directly from cable box and blu ray into my receiver for audio. My receiver doesn't pass audio, so no need to run HDMI into it.

I never use the tv's audio so I just turned it off.

I feel direct connections provide better signals so that's what I do. I see you have the same question, try it each way and decide what you like best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts