AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which scenes do you use to test DTS-ES discrete (7.1 speaker configuration)?

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
If you have a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoder then I would try pretty much all of The Haunting, and many of the battles and gladiator fight sequences in Gladiator. Also, the chicken pie machine in Chicken Run is pretty decent too.

Studio Voodoo (DVD-Audio) and Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions (DTS CD) have DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks and they are great examples of using 6.1 discrete surround for music.

Dan

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I use the Gladiator DVD first and foremost during the recreation Battle of Antioch scenes in the coliseum. With the chariots whizzing behind you as they circle the coliseum it shows off 6.1/7.1 great! Plus the thunderus bass when they chariots slam into the walls etc... is outstanding as well!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm unable to localize the rear sounds since I'm using 2 dipoles for rears, still deciding whether to change them to monopoles.

They are place 7 feet above and behind, 4 feet apart, they are tilted downwards. I've inverted the dipole speakers so that the tweeters are lower. The speaker labelled left is on the left and the right on the right. Did not swap the speakers since it is suggested that if you invert dipoles you should swap the left and right, and when using dipoles for rear they should also be swapped so that cancels the swapping.

·
Registered
338 Posts
walter,

I'm using two dipoles for the back rear and i cannot localize the discrete channel either. Perhaps that's a good thing?

I dunno about this swapping business. For me, I have the speaker labeled "right" on the right of the listening position facing the TV.

-marius

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marius,

There was a topic here about switching didpoles when using them as rear in a 7.1 speaker configuration. Something to do with the cancellation of null.

Apparently, THX will now allow you to use monopole speakers for the rear channels. Whereas before it was dipoles for sides and rears.

Knowing some scenes which would show-off the rear channels would be nice to test the rear speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.