AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering buying a Panasonic PT-AE2000U is the next few weeks. But my question is which screen should i buy to compliment it? Im looking for a diagonal of around 120 inches. Thow distance would be in the area of 15 feet probably ceiling mounted. Ideally i want the screen to be Electric not fixed. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie_tosho /forum/post/12883508

Im considering buying a Panasonic PT-AE2000U is the next few weeks. But my question is which screen should i buy to compliment it? Im looking for a diagonal of around 120 inches. Thow distance would be in the area of 15 feet probably ceiling mounted. Ideally i want the screen to be Electric not fixed. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

What color will the room walls, and ceiling be?

Will you have any ambient light in the room?

If there is any ambient light will it be directed or will it be allowed to fall on the screen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There ill be minimal light, plan to reduce it as much as possible. The projector will be used mainly at night and the one window in the room will be well covered. However the room will have light colored walls and ceiling. It will be a common living room so having dark coloured walls isnt an option.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie_tosho /forum/post/12892678

There ill be minimal light, plan to reduce it as much as possible. The projector will be used mainly at night and the one window in the room will be well covered. However the room will have light colored walls and ceiling. It will be a common living room so having dark coloured walls isnt an option.

I'm in the same boat, big light living room. I'd probably go with a smaller screen and do a light gray like this Elite, throws a better pic when walls/ceilings are light. If you do end up going 120", be sure to get tensioned as my 106" has slight waves in it (and 120" would be way worse)

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...=HT&Category=1

By far the best screen I've seen in person for beating a light room is the Stewart Firehawk...very dark gray with 1.3 gain...but if you can find one used it will still be twice as much as the Elite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah ive heard some good things about the Stewart too. Not easy getting hold of one in Ireland though. Is there a specific throw distance recommended for a 120" screen to a Elite above? Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Panasonic PT-AE2000U as well. I have a room with 3 walls that are dark maroon (no windows) and the ceiling is light brown. There will be some ambient light from the open wall on one side. I was looking at the grey 100" HCCV from Da-Lite with a 1.1 gain. Do you think this is the best screen?

Also, I only have a throw distance of 10'. Does the picture look worse if I set the zoom to the 2.0 max?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyamorous /forum/post/14640079

I have a Panasonic PT-AE2000U as well. I have a room with 3 walls that are dark maroon (no windows) and the ceiling is light brown. There will be some ambient light from the open wall on one side. I was looking at the grey 100" HCCV from Da-Lite with a 1.1 gain. Do you think this is the best screen?

Also, I only have a throw distance of 10'. Does the picture look worse if I set the zoom to the 2.0 max?

With your short throw the 1.1 gain should be fine. Almost all lenses and especially those for Pannies are brightest at wideangle and yours will definitely be at wide angle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought the same projector, have 120" diagnol, ceiling mount, but dark walls. I have been looking at the same 2 screens (HCCV from DaLite and Stewart Firehawk). I too can control the light, but have one open wall, which means some ambient light for kids playing. I am trying to find the best place to get a screen and figure out which way to go. If you find out, let me know!

Firehawk seems to be the overall winner, but not sure if you can tell that big of difference for the $.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts