AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have a ceiling-mounted LT150 DLP projector. I currently use it with a 16 x 9 Da-lite high power screen. However, my kids just did some serious damage to it, and I need to replace the screen.

I have the screen angled down slgihtly to correct for some minor keystoning, which directs a bit more light towards the seated viewer. However, I understand this is a retro-reflective screen, and isn't necessarily the best option with a ceiling mounted projector.

I'm thinking of a Da-Lite Model B with the Video Spectra material with a 1.5 gain, or a Draper Luma with the F-1500 material also with a 1.5 gain.

My question is whether I'll achieve as much gain from one of these reflective screens compared to the retro-reflective high power material screen with my ceiling mounted projector.

Also, I've been very happy with the lack of hotspotting and visible wrinkles on the High Power, and don't want to develop those problems with one of these other materials.

Does anybody have any insight? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention. Screen size is/will be 52" x 92". Seating distance is 14' from screen, with total light control.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I am using a stand mounted Stewart Firehawk.

It works exceptionally well, IMO -- but YMMV.

Projector is an LT-150, with mods as recommended by Guy Kuo, including FL-D filter.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you don't want to spend the dough, Video Spectra should work quite well and have more gain than the High Power on ceiling mount PJ. I got a 96"X72" Model B video spectra from www.francisav.com for $150 shipped to OH. Can't beat that price IMHO.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Huey, I'm going to go with the video spectra. I've read a couple posts about waves in the screen material. Is that an issue on yours? I plan on leaving the screen down, and am hoping if there are waves they'll hang out after a few days.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yeah, waves are very small and not noticeable except on very slow pans and even then only at the top 6" of screen. It's a side-effect of manual rolldown. Even if you let it down for months the minor waves will still persists as mine has. I even tension mine with some bungie cords hooked to a nail in the baseboard and the bottom rod's 2 ends. The top waves (6 across the screen) stayed. What will rid of the waves is if you 1) cut off the material and stretch on wooden frame (defeating the roll-up feature), 2) nail at 2 ends of a horizontal 1/2"X2" wooden slat (painted flat black with barbecue grill paint) placed on top of screen's top edge (right below the roll case) to flatten out the waves and project below this slat. If you buy a 4:3 screen, you should have plenty of extra room for 16:9 screen. Of course once you've done this you can't vary the screen for different ratio anymore. You can do one slat at the bottom screen edge to to match the top. Since the nails are done at the 2 ends of the wood slat, your screen should be preserved and undamaged should you wish to go back to roll-up mode.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Huey. I like the idea of the wood slats. I might give that a try if my screen comes complete with wrinkles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.