Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also posted in the screen section:

As the title says, I have a ceiling-mounted LT150 DLP projector. I currently use it with a 16 x 9 Da-lite high power screen. However, my kids just did some serious damage to it, and I need to replace the screen.

I have the screen angled down slgihtly to correct for some minor keystoning, which directs a bit more light towards the seated viewer. However, I understand this is a retro-reflective screen, and isn't necessarily the best option with a ceiling mounted projector.

I'm thinking of a Da-Lite Model B with the Video Spectra material with a 1.5 gain, or a Draper Luma with the F-1500 material also with a 1.5 gain.

My question is whether I'll achieve as much gain from one of these reflective screens compared to the retro-reflective high power material screen with my ceiling mounted projector.

Also, I've been very happy with the lack of hotspotting and visible wrinkles on the High Power, and don't want to develop those problems with one of these other materials.

Seating position is 14' from 52" x 92" wide screen, with complete light control. Does anybody have any insight? Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am using a 54 x 96 Firehawk screen with my ceiling mounted LT-150. I was concerned that it might not be bright enough but because the Firehawk is better suited to a ceiling mounted PJ, I have had no problems with brightness in my lighting controlled room.

The Firehawk does a nice job of producing deep saturated colors and good shadow detail. Works as advertised.

·
Registered
302 Posts
FWIW, originally I was considering the Luma and talked to the Draper folks. They mentioned that the high gain screens were much thinner material and therefore subject to curling. I wasn't interested in a tensioned screen, so I went with a different Draper screen (gain 1.0). Not recommending that, but the curl issue is just something else to keep in mind. HNick

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I also just took delivery of a new 52x92 Firehawk and it is a definite improvement over my Model B Matte White. Colors are more saturated and absolute black dropped, creating more apparent contrast. I haven't spent much time yet, but I do expect to evaluate more this weekend.

This experience has caused me to rethink the value equation in FP purchasing. With the mods (color wheel, RGB contrast maxing, Hoya Filter, rewritting the Gamma table), HTPC, ISCO II, and Firehawk I think that if you are on a budget, spending less on the projector (which becomes outdated rather quickly) and more on the accompanying accessories may yield higher quality long term benefits. Sorry slightly off topic....

My initial impression is only negative on a couple of things. One there does appear to be some hotspotting in comparison to the Matte, that is to be expected I suppose. The other is just an unexpected annoyance.....This thing is HUGE! (manual pull down with tensioning) I had to recalculate placement, since I hang mine from the ceiling, and add more reinforcement to the hooks in the ceiling, a bear to mount by yourself. Good thing I lift weights......

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have Dalite Model B Video Spectra 1.5 gain 96"X72" (adjusted to 54" or 41" for 16:9 or 2.35:1 material) and I love mine. Definitely improvement (brighter colors, whiter whites) over DIY painted blackout cloth; however, blacks also lightened slightly. It's a trade off. There are a few waves near the top of screen due to manual pull-down nature but this is not noticeable unless very slow panning scene and even here only seen at the top 6" of the screen (I sit 13' from screen). For the price of $150 shipped to OH, it's hard to beat. I got mine from www.francisav.com and they shipped it very fast with best prices I've found.

High power would be brighter due to 2.8 gain for table top or back-of-wall installation, but you also lose some contrast compared to Video Spectra. For ceiling mount however, it should equal or even less gain than Video Spectra. Thus, for you I agree that Video Spectra makes the most sense.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Steve,

Which Dalite screen did you wind up with to replace your High Power? I need a portable and am debating between a High Power or VideoSpectra on the Picture King tripod or the Wide Power in the Insta-Theater.

I take it the Wide Power would be better for a ceiling mount since it's not retro-reflective like the high power but the material is only available on the Insta-Theater and the largest size is 100" 4:3 diag.

My guess is that it will be difficult to go from a High Power to a VideoSpectra since you are used to the bright picture and vivid colors. Anyway this is my fear. I will have off-axis seating (to 30 degrees)and there will be no gain on the Video-Spectra while the High Power and Wide Power should have a gain somewhere around 1.3 and 1.6 respectively.

My thought is to go with the 60x80 for the portable in a high gain, and use either Video Spectra or a high contrast in a 69x92 wall-mount in the dedicated room. If I want high power, then I can set up the smaller portable in front of the wall mount.

Any idea how the Wide Power compares to the High Power in terms of hot-spotting and visible wrinkles? Hopefully the picture quality is the same.

-hardwired

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hardwired, I ended up with the video spectra. It was a lot less expensive than the high power, and provides as much gain with my ceiling LT150. It has a few very minor wrinkles near the top, which my high power also had. However, they were never visible with the high power material, and are slightly visible now only on some brightly lit scenes.

The video spectra has a bit of grain to the texture of the material, which at first I noticed, but not anymore. The screen material with the high power was much finer. Sorry, but I don't have any knowledge of the wide power.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to jump in here. I have Steve's old high power. Here is what I found.

I have a ceiling mounted LT150. I've been projecting onto a white gesso artist canvas stretched on a wooden frame. I was happy with the picture, but was wondering what the fuss was about the high power. I had gotten the little samples of Dalite material but couldn't tell anything from them.

Anyway, I hung the High Power above my current screen and pulled it down over half my current screen. I fired up the projector and from a seating position, the picture looked exactly the same. I figured that it would be a bit brighter, but it wasn't.

I then stood on a step stool at the projector level and now realize what everyone was talking about when they praise the high power for vibrant colors. It was an amazing difference.

I only did this last night and had limited time, so I will have to spend some more time with it when I can take down the projector and try it from the floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.