AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well light controled room, but with white walls (at the moment, but will probably paint the ceiling and screen wall matt dark blue), I plan on getting an infocus 5700 and 100" screen, I sit about 5(16-17feet?) meters from the screen/wall.

Which screen should I get... I first thought I´d get a firehawk. But some of the seats are closer then mine and at an angle, and the firehawk will limit the viewing angle won´t it. And also when I´ll upgrade the projector in the future, when projectors will likely have plenty contrast for me, then a grey screen will only limit the viewing angle and I´d like to have a future friendly screen.

Does this make any sense? Is there maybe a white screen that I should go for?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I´m about to buy this stuff so quick replies would be great.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Projector Central recommends going with a grey screen with the 5700 to further enhance the contrast. The 5700 is very bright so works well with a grey screen. from the distances you are mentioning I do not think the angle of view should be a concern with a moderate grey screen. check out the gain charts and you will find that some of the grey screen have a pretty good view angle.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I am a firm believer that you should use as low a gain of screen as is possible for your screen size and projector light output. In your case I would get a GrayHawk. This offers the same viewing angle as the StudioTek 130 but provides for better rejection of ambient light and cross-reflections due to the lower gain of the GrayHawk which can make the on-screen CR appear higher.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am very happy with my 119" High Contrast Cinema Vision screen with my 5700.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I agree, the HCCV would be another good option for the 5700, as it offers a wide viewing angle, as well as a low gain gray surface to help with the rejection of ambient light and cross-reflections.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I understand this correctly. A high gain screen will make the image brighter, but it will increase the likelyhood of hotspotting, and narrows the viewing angle, and the more ambient light you have in the room, the more gain you got the worse the picture will look??

But a grey screen will make the perceived contrast better(better black levels)? So ideally I would want a grey screen with moderate gain... like the Da-Lite high contrast cinema vision.. or maybe a Steward greyhawk?

Do both these screens come with black borders that will take care of some overscan?

Can I get these screen so that I can assemple them and they will be like a painting on the wall(fixed screen?)

Hos does the viewing angle of the HCCV compare to the others?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Pretty much right. A high gain will help with ambient light because of it's narrow viewing angle. Ambient light won't be reflected as much.

The exact screen I have is the Cinema Contour High Contrast Cinema Vision with Pro-trim.

The Cinema Contour is the frame type, it is a very nice frame if you ask me. The pro-trim means the frame has a black velvet that takes care of the overscan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.