AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought myself a new Panasonic PT-AE4000, now it's time to get a screen.

I have seen a Da-Lite High Power at a friend's house, I was really impressed. But after reading about High Power screens, many suggest that you need to setup the projector on a table to really enjoy this type of screen... in my setup, it is not possible.

I have ordered a 24'' mount from monoprice, so that the projector will not be to high. My ceiling is 7'8'' so the projector will be at 5'8''.

Look at this picture of my room, and let me know if a High Power screen is ok with my setup.

BTW, the projector will be at 19' from the screen (room is roughly 13x21x7'8''), this way I will minimize the zoom, I heard it's better this way.

My room is completely black.

thanks everyone for your advise.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes, the High Power screen will be fine for your setup. With the 2.8 HP you should get an actual gain of 1.8 to 1.9 for your on-axis seats. If you want to try other, off-axis seats, feel free to use my screen gain calculator linked below. (The default screen values correspond to the original 2.8 gain HP.)

Long throw should give you a slightly sharper picture with better contrast, but it will not be as bright. Brightness should not be a problem with your screen size and projector--especially with the HP screen, so I guess "better" is the right word for your setup. If you were going for a humongous image or using a lower gain screen, you might need to use the wide-angle end of the throw range to maximize the projector lumens.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/18292279

Welcome. You're gonna love it. I wouldn't trade mine for any other at any price.

good to know!

I took some other measuments yesterday and I think I can lower the screen by another 4''.

I can put the projector at 28'' from the ceiling...

I also measured my eyes height and it's 36'' to 40'' depending on how I'm inclined in my couch!

I was wondering if 4'' will make a noticable difference?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle /forum/post/18293088

I was wondering if 4'' will make a noticable difference?

It will add about 0.1 to the gain. That's not a huge difference. It is a step in the right direction, though.

You will be able to see a noticeable increase in brightness when rising from your seat to a standing position.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/18294857

It will add about 0.1 to the gain. That's not a huge difference. It is a step in the right direction, though.

You will be able to see a noticeable increase in brightness when rising from your seat to a standing position.

thanks!

I will do the best I can to lower my screen and projector to the max...

my Sub is a Paradigm Servo 15 which his 20'' high and my center is actually 24'' high but I can cut my center feet to lower it down to 20''.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle /forum/post/18298434

I will do the best I can to lower my screen and projector to the max...

The screen height has virtually no effect on the gain. The height of the projector lens center relative to seated viewer eye height is what's important. More specifically, you want to minimize the error angle between the viewer's line of sight to screen center and the projector's line of sight to screen center. The smaller the error angle, the greater the gain of the High Power screen is. (Of course, you can take this only so far, because if you get your eyes too close to the PJ's line of sight, your head will be shadowing part of the image.)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/18298931

The screen height has virtually no effect on the gain. The height of the projector lens center relative to seated viewer eye height is what's important. More specifically, you want to minimize the error angle between the viewer's line of sight to screen center and the projector's line of sight to screen center. The smaller the error angle, the greater the gain of the High Power screen is. (Of course, you can take this only so far, because if you get your eyes too close to the PJ's line of sight, your head will be shadowing part of the image.)

ok I understand...

I have calculated a difference of 30'' from my eye's height and the projector height...

I am seating at 14' from the screen...

I have calculated an error angle of 10 degree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts