AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,


I will purchasing my new JVC-hd250, and have decided on a 120" screen


My room size is 20' x 18" and 7'7" ceiling.

Just trying to see if I should go with a Grey screen or a white screen. Also what Gain.


My room will totally be light controlled.


my throw distance will probally be around 15-16ft. Since the projector can handle that.


Any suggestions would be great. I am looking at the Da-lite screens.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
White. In a truly light controlled room, unity gain should be fine. However, some people like higher gain, getting all the way up to the Dalite HP, if with its own set of compromises.


I use a 126" Seymour XD screen, and it is the best HT upgrade I have done ever since I got a PJ! Using a JVC RS1, which I believe is basically your model, but a few generations older. Flat black ceiling and black carpets in front of viewers. I haven't been watching movies this frequently in a long time, in fact I just bumped up my Netflix account a couple of days ago. Anyways, the use of an AT screen allows for both the proper design and placement of the center speaker, and boy, is that a huge thing. Something to look into you. I went DIY, and the fabric for me was $240, and that was with the maximum "tilt" in mind. IOW, I could have spent even less.


Carada is probably the most popular value buy. Focupix will be the cheapest while worth getting (for the money), but since you can afford Dalite, forget Focupix.


Time for you to request samples from all of the brands you are interested in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/19632202


... Anyways, the use of an AT screen allows for both the proper design and placement of the center speaker, and boy, is that a huge thing. Something to look into...

I second that. You seem to have the room depth that would allow at least considering AT. Of course, it depends on the screen wall and your LCR sizes. But the viewing experience can't be overstated. It also does wonders for room aesthetics (WAF) if that's an issue.


And just for kicks, think about going to a 2.35:1 'scope' screen size. If you do much movie watching (vs. HDTV), a 'scope' screen has a 1.78:1 (HD) screen beat for movie watching experience big time. Again, depends on screen wall size, but if you can fit a 120" screen, then 2.35 won't be a problem. Then again, you may already have that in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Every screen we've had has been a gray - high contrast material screen. Gray minimizes visibility of the "black bars" the dark areas that EVERY projector throws as it scales different material to its native aspect ratio and most all consumer HT projectors have a native aspect ratio of 16:9 which is the N. America standard for HD TV. As you know, older movies have aspect ratio of 3:1 (like original King Kong) while most modern films have much wider aspect ratio than 16:9 so we all have to live with vertical or horizontal scaling "bars". IMO - gray makes these bars almost invisible.


We've always bought 4:3 or more square screens. All commercial theater screens are more square - like 4:3. This gives the projector operator a lot more zoom and other image adjustment flexibility. People with ultra wide screen and more rectangular screens just can't get the best sized image when showing tv or older and classic films.


Our screen is about 100 inches wide and we get about a 120in diagonal image but our screen is much taller or higher than most so we get the best wider screen images and also the best and biggest possible "square" content images - I recall like 84in X 100in is our size - IMO - this is a good screen solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the HD250, however I may not have complete light control. Would a Gray screen be a better solution? Does anyone have an opinion on Elite screens?

Thanks for your input.

Andreas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas K
I'm in the same boat with the HD250, however I may not have complete light control. Would a Gray screen be a better solution? Does anyone have an opinion on Elite screens?

Thanks for your input.

Andreas
There is a whole thread on Elite. I have a fixed frame one and like it. Gray will improve contrast in a lit room, but it won't work miracles
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j
There is a whole thread on Elite. I have a fixed frame one and like it. Gray will improve contrast in a lit room, but it won't work miracles
It all depends on your Budget...

there is new screen shots posted on the Si Thread

You can also look at the Stewart Firehawk but the SI is better with Room Light Scatter.....


And Thats something that the Elite screen cant Do...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
The Elite is definitely a budget screen. It is vinyl based and is pretty good for what it does. However, there are better screens out there. They cost more. A black Diamond is going to cost several thousand dollars. Most of the 'good' ones wil cost over $1k.


The big factors when choosing a screen are:

1. fixed vs pull down (manual or electric). Generally better to go with a fixed screen if the room can aesthetically handle it. Pull down screens wrinkle and sag. A tab tensioned screen will counteract that somewhat, but not always.


2. Gain. A higher gain screen will reflect back more light from the projector to the viewer. It will also reject off axis light, making it better in a room with some ambient light. The downside is that the higher the gain, the narrower the viewing angle, i.e. the chairs have to be closer to being in-line with the projector and screen.


3. Color. A gray or "black" screen will improve contrast of your picture. It will lower overall brightness somewhat, but that is becomming less of an issue with modern bright projectors. This works by tricking your eyes. Take a look at the screen with the projector off and lighting at theater levels. This is the darkest black you can ever see. Now, with a gray screen, that black will be darker. The whites are controlled by the brightness of the projector and are not an issue because the iris of your eyes will close down and set it to a comfortable level. Not really a downside of going gray these days, except cost and aesthetics.


4. Material. Especially acoustically transparent (AT) material. An AT screen can either be a woven cloth, usually fiberglass or poly, or it can be a perforated vinyl sheet. The advantage of an AT screen is that you can place speakers behind it and the sound will then come from the characters, not above or below them. Downside is cost and close up viewing. Most modern AT screens are designed so that you can't see the weaving more than a few feet away, so that is becoming less of a concern. There is one additional issue with AT in that you need to build a false wall so you have room for the speakers behind the screen.


These are the things you need to consider when deciding on a screen, and unless we know all of it, we really can't give a good recommendation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
Buy the best screen possible now -- even if it is costly. Then you won't have to change screens later as you move up in projectors...plus it will help make budget projectors look as good as they can look.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete /forum/post/19657824


Buy the best screen possible now -- even if it is costly. Then you won't have to change screens later as you move up in projectors...plus it will help make budget projectors look as good as they can look.

second that

the screen is more important to the home theater than the projector....

Spend more get a better screen that will last

Even if you have to just start with an entry level projector...


If someone couldnt afford to get a better screen and cheaper projector than they should be looking at 2 piece projection...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 /forum/post/0


agreed. Screen is more important then PJ by far. Too many people do it backwards


You should have a screen forever if taken care of

I don't have a lot of experience with FP setups (I currently own a Viewsonic Pro8100 and it's my first time owning a FP), but I have a really difficult time believing what you say to be true.


By your logic an Optoma HD20 with a Stewart screen would produce a better picture than a JVC HD250 and an Elite screen?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpage /forum/post/19659774


I don't have a lot of experience with FP setups (I currently own a Viewsonic Pro8100 and it's my first time owning a FP), but I have a really difficult time believing what you say to be true.


By your logic an Optoma HD20 with a Stewart screen would produce a better picture than a JVC HD250 and an Elite screen?

Thats what we are saying ...

An JVC Entry Level Projector would produce a better picture on a High End Screen Like a SI Black Diamond or a Stewart Firehawk


Than getting a JVC Flag Ship High End Projector on a Elite Screen or something similar in quality ....


Thats a Proven Fact......


This is why its so important to go to a dealer that can give you a proper demo.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/19659867


Thats what we are saying ...

An JVC Entry Level Projector would produce a better picture on a High End Screen Like a SI Black Diamond or a Stewart Firehawk


Than getting a JVC Flag Ship High End Projector on a Elite Screen or something similar in quality ....


Thats a Proven Fact......


This is why its so important to go to a dealer that can give you a proper demo.....

Those who are not familiar with front projection need to educate themselves. There are lots of people posting on this forum and some times really bad advice is given.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa /forum/post/19659867


Thats a Proven Fact.....

Do you have an article or review available which proves this?


I have no doubt that Stewart makes some of the best screens available... just have never been told or read before that it would allow a sub $1000 projector to compete with one in the $3-$5000 range..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpage /forum/post/19660420


Do you have an article or review available which proves this?


I have no doubt that Stewart makes some of the best screens available... just have never been told or read before that it would allow a sub $1000 projector to compete with one in the $3-$5000 range..

Do You have any Dealers in your Area...?


Here is a pic in a high ambient light setting ,

The Projector Is Epson Flag Ship High End Pro Cinema 9700ub

Screen is Screen Innovations Black Diamond .8 gain screen...


If this was on an Elite Screen the pic would washed out and un watchable even with the flag ship Epson Projector...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,335 Posts
And you do realize screen shots are worthless and no one said anything about ambient light. In fact here is a quote from the Original poster.

"My room will totally be light controlled. "


Now to your tall tailed claims, where are scientific measurements and professional reviews that tell us that using X screen will make an inexpensive projector look like one 10x it's cost?

Until we get the quantifying data that is factual from multiple respected sources there really isn't much to talk about..

What do you think the Lexus Dealer would say about the Chevy?
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top