AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recomend a set top box for my new Panasonic PT-52DL10? I have been shopping around and haven't really been able to settle on the best bet for this television.

I would like a receiver which receives directv and atsc (ntsc would be a plus also).

I've heard that the sony has a loud fan, a slow menu, and inadequate inputs and outputs. The panasonic has a great picture, or so I am told, but it has a slow menu, and other issues. Can anyone make a suggestion on which STB may be the best for this new DLP set?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
joshie -

Given what is on the market, I think that the Panasonic TU-HDS20 is your best bet. It is definitely not perfect, but it has 720p output (and the native resolution of the 52DL10 is 1280x720), very high quality upconversion, and very good picture quality. It is also currently the only DirecTV/ATSC/NTSC STB that allows you to chose a "native mode" where the signal received (i.e., 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) is what is sent to the TV. I don't think that it has more or less problems overall than the other products on the market.

It's possible that the upcoming Zenith STB could be better, but we won't know until it ships.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Any idea when the Zenith is supposed to ship?

Josh

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, it was supposed to have shipped already, but like all of the other STBs, the shipping date keeps getting pushed out. The latest rumors I've heard have been end of Septemeber, and early next year. I really don't know how credible those rumors are.

Oh, and if you decide to go with the Panny, get it from a vendor that has a decent return policy. If it has a problem, getting it handled by Panasonic is a nightmare, so having a vendor with a reasonable return policy could save you a bunch of headaches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.