• AVS HD 709 (HD download)

Votes: 112 22.5%
  • Disney WOW (Blu-ray)

Votes: 204 41.0%
  • Disney WOW (DVD)

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • JKP Digital Video Essentials (DVD)

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • JKP Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics (Blu-ray)

Votes: 99 19.9%
  • Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard (DVD)

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark (Blu-ray)

Votes: 119 23.9%
  • Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up (DVD)

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • THX Optimizer (on THX-certified Blu-rays and DVDs)

Votes: 56 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 25 5.0%
  • None

Votes: 40 8.0%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As most AVS members know, you can improve the picture quality of just about any display by tweaking its basic picture controls—brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness—using the test patterns found on several inexpensive setup discs. You can even download a free set of high-def setup patterns right here on AVS Forum and burn them to a BD-R/RE or DVD-R/RW or play them from a computer.

Which one(s) do you use? You can select more than one response in this poll.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have the DVE disc. I'd only recommend it to someone if I really didn't like him very much. Based on the AVS review of the Disney WoW disc that one seems to be the one to beat.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use both the Spears & Munsil and the AVS HD 709. Awesome discs. Love 'em both. I've also continually heard a lot of good things about the Disney WoW disc.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I use the AVD HD 709 and Spears & Munsil ver 1.1 I am looking forward to the release of Sprear & Munsil ver 2 (Audio and 3D set make it a must buy to me)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have the DVE HD Basics disc and have downloaded and burned an AVS ITU.R BT-709 disc. I've used the Disney WoW disc and can say that this disc is the easiest to use for beginners and also has lots of extra content / HD demos. It only comes with a blue gel filter.

The DVE disc isn't really that well thought-out and has just the basic test patterns. The pauses on the test patterns when going through the calibration tutorial aren't that well thought out. The only real advantage to this disc over the others I have tried is the inclusion of a handy R G B gel filter in a compact size that makes it easy to check all of the primary colors on test patterns. I actually use this "tri-color" filter with the AVS BT-709 disc when I don't feel like actually plugging everything up to a computer and spectrophotometer.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
 http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

Just purchased the New version 2. (Now Available re OPPO)

Previously used S&M ver.1.1, and the AVS 709.

Tried the WOW, but found the Basic Tests closer in accuracy of the S&M and 709, then the Advance Results. Subsequently have discontinued using WOW.

Looking forward to the New S&M Version 2. US to Canada Postal Service - 15 Days?

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,012 Posts
I use the DVE HD Basics blu ray. I found it to be useful, but only because I didn't have anything other than a THX optimizer and it is better than that. The RGB filters are very handy as well.

I'd be willing to try out the Disney WOW disc. How much do those usually run?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
i bought the video essentials and the ultimate DVD platinum setup discs years ago. i found both very imformative and easy to use(they explained why you make the adjustments and what to look for while doing it).

i don't watch a lot of dvd's anymore, so i use some test patterns i've downloaded on the HTPC to do final calibrations. i find there are large differences between sources, so i calibrate my most important source and make do with the others.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I've used THX cal discs, Spears and Munsil, WOW and the AVS disc.

My absolute favorite is the Spears and Munsil disc. It allows me to do the best video calibration on my mits dlp to my eyes anyway. Unfortunately i loaned my disc out and it got damaged and it just had to be during the period after the disc was discontinued and the private sellers on amazon were asking way too much for used copies. I purchased the WOW disc to get my by until the new version of the S&M disc is released.

The WOW disc is easier to figure out the the S&M disc, but the S&M disc, at least on my gear does a better overall job on the video calibration.

Before trying out the S&M disc i used to use the THX calibrations extras found on THX dvd'/blu-rays. They are pretty basic test patterns and over all the cal was just okay at best. Tweaking by eye worked better for me I tried the AVS download and didn't care for it very much either.

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne  /t/1470226/which-setup-disc-s-do-you-use#post_23252855

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

Just purchased the New version 2. (Now Available re OPPO)

Previously used S&M ver.1.1, and the AVS 709.

Tried the WOW, but found the Basic Tests closer in accuracy of the S&M and 709, then the Advance Results. Subsequently have discontinued using WOW.

Looking forward to the New S&M Version 2. US to Canada Postal Service - 15 Days?

I might have to look into that. Ive never used a S&M disc before.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.