AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i am wanting to put together a decent audio system. As of right now i have some crappy receiver that needs to be replaced. But i do have $1700 tower speakers, so while doing the math in my head i realized that this is going to cost me a lot of money

towers: $1700

Receiver: $1000

centre:$600

sub:$1000

Rears: $500

Now thats about 5 grand in audio. Being that i am a student, and my place is quite small means that i do not need a 5000 dollar system......yet. So my plan is to sell my towers to my dad and just buy a 5.1 box system.

A friend of mine has a 5.1 bose system just sitting in a box in his house, so i am going to see if i can buy them off of him for a good deal (he dosent need the money, so it could be as low as 500) Now from what i've read bose is not very liked by the audiophiles. If i do not get the bose which system should i be looking at. I like the b&w 5.1 systems, but they are about 4 grand, which is more than i want to spend.

so my budget is from $0-$3000 let me know

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd recommend the Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver with the SKS-HT540 speaker set, fantastic value and great entry level HTS. Technically it's not a "HTiB" but it's close enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not really looking for an "entry system" though. I just bought a tv and it has one of the best pictures ive ever seen (52" sharp touch of color lcd). I'm pretty sure with a 3 thousand dollar budget i can get a good sound system, but it needs to be something compact. Anybody know whats the best system i can get for this money?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Define compact.

For your budget, I'd definitely spend about $2000-2500 on the speakers and get a midrange Onkyo (like the TX-SR605/606) which would be enough to handle the lossless audio codecs. That'd be a kickass system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compact, well i do not need anything too small, i just do not want overkill.

As of right now i am sitting about 7-8 feet away from my tv, and my speakers are 5 feet tall.. I then have 2 16" huge bookshelves on each side of my couch. The system is so loud, but i feel that it is far too many large speakers for such a small room. When looking at the bose i liked them because of their compactness, i am able to just hang these on the wall, and (although i seem to be the only one) i thought they sounded great. I love my speakers, and do not want them gone, however if i can buy speakers of the same quality but smaller then why not..........

·
Registered
260 Posts
damn, I didn't know your budget was so high, you edited that in didn't you :] You shouldn't be looking for a HTiB with that budget, definitely mix and match, I personally like Energy speakers and Dennon/Onkyo receivers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i realized that i wrote 1 thousand, when i meant to say 3. And being that i'm 19 and a student i dont want to spend too much, and im planning on being at my house for a good 2 or so years. With a 3 thousand dollar budget i figured i could get one of these high end "home theatre in a box" systems, which is why i was looing at the bose/b&w/etc.

I've heard that mix and matching speakers isn't the best idea, because certain speakers give certain pitches, and tones, and apparently you do not want to mix. anyways, i heard this from one of these high end home theatre installers.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthonyy /forum/post/14160888

yeah, i realized that i wrote 1 thousand, when i meant to say 3. And being that i'm 19 and a student i dont want to spend too much, and im planning on being at my house for a good 2 or so years. With a 3 thousand dollar budget i figured i could get one of these high end "home theatre in a box" systems, which is why i was looing at the bose/b&w/etc.

I've heard that mix and matching speakers isn't the best idea, because certain speakers give certain pitches, and tones, and apparently you do not want to mix. anyways, i heard this from one of these high end home theatre installers.

I wish I would have had a $3k budget for audio when I was 19, lol. Even with a full time job at 23 I don't have that big of a budget, lol. School loans eat away a lot of income.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one of the ads on this site was for orb. and it said smart people buy smart speakers.........im a smart people!!!!!!!!!!! (yes. i know i'm hilarious)

has anybody had any experience with these, their small, compact, i like the look of them, and for a 5.1 set its 2 grand, then i buy a receiver, so that will bring me to my 2500 dollar budget.

now i know its not a fashion show, but i love the looks, any opinions.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Orbs are a great choice. Before I even finished reading all of the posts, I knew I was going to suggest a mid range Yamaha or Onkyo Receiver and the Orb speakers. Your picture is of the Mod4 set. That's probably far more speaker than you really need. Take a look at the Mod2 system. It's cheaper, and more than adequate. The savings could buy you an exotic finish and a true subwoofer.

Jim

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthonyy /forum/post/14158349

Ok, so i am wanting to put together a decent audio system. As of right now i have some crappy receiver that needs to be replaced. But i do have $1700 tower speakers, so while doing the math in my head i realized that this is going to cost me a lot of money

towers: $1700

Receiver: $1000

centre:$600

sub:$1000

Rears: $500

Now thats about 5 grand in audio. Being that i am a student, and my place is quite small means that i do not need a 5000 dollar system......yet. So my plan is to sell my towers to my dad and just buy a 5.1 box system.

A friend of mine has a 5.1 bose system just sitting in a box in his house, so i am going to see if i can buy them off of him for a good deal (he dosent need the money, so it could be as low as 500) Now from what i've read bose is not very liked by the audiophiles. If i do not get the bose which system should i be looking at. I like the b&w 5.1 systems, but they are about 4 grand, which is more than i want to spend.

so my budget is from $0-$3000 let me know

What model Bose system is it ???

Depending on what model it is, for $500.00 it could be a deal and or worth it.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
at this point it is a bit iffy with the bose system. If i get it then i get it. If not then i will be more than happy with the orb. The bose system was one like this, only it had some receiver, and im pretty sure the system is AT LEAST 3 years old

anyways, too much picture posting, but i have narrowed it down to these 2

This is 1300

Now i also have to buy a receiver for this, whether that be a harman,onkyo, etc, it will be an addition 5-600 dollars.......but will it really be that much? these speakers are tiny, do they really need 100 watts per channel? do they need the same power big ones do?

Or this System

This is 16000

Now it comes with a Pioneer VSX-817-K, no hdmi though, so i would have to upgrade to a yamaha rx-v663 for an additonal $175. Now If i wanted to do a 5.1 instead of a 6.1 they woul take off 150.

But my question is, what should i go for, do my surrounds really need to be doubles? Tell me if i am wrong, but 90% of sound comes from LCR right? if thats true would the money be better spend if i were to do a quad centre channel like the one above??? lemme know.

i will also add that my tv watching room is probably 11"X8"

·
Registered
935 Posts
A quad center might be a good idea. In a movie, most sound does indeed come from the center channel. If you go with a 6.1 or 7.1 surround system, the back surrounds can definitely be single speakers. Even the rear surrounds could probably be singles as well.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its not the speakers them selves that are killing me, its the upgrades!!!!!!!!!!!

stainless steel =$200. boss tower stand =$300, centre channel stand =$49, wall mounts 2x$25=50, all in all, $500 in stands and finish!!!!!!!!!!!!

But damn will it look good in my room!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts