AVS Forum banner

Who do you WANT to win the format war ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain /forum/post/0

All things being equal, which side do you want to win the HD disc war ???

HD-DVD for having a more complete, and mature solution longer and at cheaper prices than its much vaunted competition.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
I'm not opposed to buying HD-DVD when the price is right and will if Universal doesn't go neutral sometime; however if one format goes away I don't want it to be blu-ray for the following reasons. I already own a blu-ray player plus it also has superior bandwidth (picture quality), space, durability, player selection, lower priced software (I hate combos), etc.

edit: I'm also in the boat that would hate 128KB iTunes to win over CD as well, thankfully CD hasn't gone away. I really wish though higher res formats like SACD were more popular.

I guess what I'm getting at is I don't want to have to settle for less quality and don't want blu-ray to have the same fate as SACD or worse. It would truly be a shame for us Home Theater enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
BD for superior core specs, greater scalability, better durability.

Issues like price and IME can be fixed over time, while insufficient capacity and bandwidth most likely can't be.

That and I support the concept of the vast majority of manufacturer's working together on standards.

But hey, just opinons, no doubt the fanboys will pick the crap out of any arguments for either side. Very frustrating, tempting just to walk away for 6 months and check back in on the format war at Xmas and see where its gone.

Early adoption blows.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/0

HD-DVD for having a more complete, and mature solution longer and at cheaper prices than its much vaunted competition.

I third this sentiment.

While I'm enjoying my BDs alot more now due to several really good releases by Disney - I still have to give it to HD DVD. Even with less advanced technology, less support, and less product momentum - they've gotten just about everything right. I think they deserve to come out on top if there can only be one.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/0

I already own a blu-ray player plus it also has superior bandwidth (picture quality),

I understand your point, but "superior bandwidth" has NOT equaled better picture quality for BD. The best of the best on both formats has been very similar.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Blu-ray.

Yes, in many ways HD-DVD started better, but I prefer the larger discs for non-movie use and use of Java (as a developer, I really like the sharing of tech and Java+GEM means authoring can be shared with broadcast content).

Also-Blu-ray started better than HD-DVD in one key way related to the non-movie uses - existence of burners, early on.

That said I want there to be one winner, this year, more than I want it to be Blu-ray. HD media can't survive an extended war.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Even if additional storage doesn't mean better picture quality, it undeniably means more can fit on a disc, making it more versatile. I also see BD as a more durable format.

Scrappy underdog format doesn't impress me. A head start doesn't impress me. Cheaper hardware in the short term doesn't impress me. I want the best format to win in the long term, and it's Blu-ray.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/0

I understand your point, but "superior bandwidth" has NOT equaled better picture quality for BD. The best of the best on both formats has been very similar.

The bandwidth in Blu-Ray is necessary for the PCM which uses ~3.3x the bandwidth and capacity as Dolby TrueHD

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0

The bandwidth in Blu-Ray is necessary for the PCM which uses ~3.3x the bandwidth and capacity as Dolby TrueHD

Where did you get that PCM takes ~3.3x the bandwidth? And that ~3.3x for the space is probably close to a best case scenario anyway. Do you expect HD DVD to stick with 16/48 pretty much forever and not move to 20/48 or higher?

--Darin

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell /forum/post/0

Even if additional storage doesn't mean better picture quality, it undeniably means more can fit on a disc, making it more versatile. I also see BD as a more durable format.

Scrappy underdog format doesn't impress me. A head start doesn't impress me. Cheaper hardware in the short term doesn't impress me. I want the best format to win in the long term, and it's Blu-ray.

Indeed, if a format wins not because of its true merits (content and technology), but because of a head start, then it is a real shame.

·
Registered
321 Posts
HD DVD for the simple fact that Blu ray really has nothing on HD DVD, it's really a game of inches that in the real HD world it means nothing, in the mean time the Blu prices are ridiculous...talk about an inch of supposed never proven edge verses a mile of price difference...as far as I'm concerned, HD DVD has the edge in far too many ways.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This forum is totally lobsided, every poll here having anything remotely HDDVD vs. BD always ends in a lobsided pro HDDVD count. So you won't get a very real perspective from this.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0

This forum is totally lobsided, every poll here having anything remotely HDDVD vs. BD always ends in a lobsided pro HDDVD count. So you won't get a very real perspective from this.

Exactly. There is no real point to this poll.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:

???? - I don't really understand this. By posting here the OP has to know that he is querying AVS form folks. If AVS forum members (at least those that respond) prefer HD DVD... well that would be his answer.

What exactly is a "real perspective" and how does it differ? Are AVS members not "real" people?

Clearly this isn't necessarily going to give you the same results as if you polled random Best Buy customers, PS3 owners, Toshiba employees, or a group of Avon salespeople - but the results are totally valid for AVS people.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
HD DVD for being feature complete, less expensive for the consumer, region free.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

Quote:

Don't run from the truth......we love HD-DVD.

ps- This is "HDTV Software Media Discussion" thread. Lobsided, HOW?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.