AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through more posts than I care to admit about subs and room size, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about MY application. The room was going to be 15x17, but may end up being 15x13. (depending on the budget on the new house) I'm almost definitely looking at SVS for the brand, but I'm not sure what size. I'm thinking that a PB-12 would do it, but would a PB-10 suffice? Also, is the CS series that much better? Although, I guess they're not that much more. For the money, will a PB series work? I'm looking at using it mostly for movies, but DO plan on listening to music from time to time. Here's a list of what's going in the HT.

Onkyo 803 receiver

Samsung HD950 DVD player

Sanyo PLV-Z4

Stewart Greyhawk 92" screen (may go up to 106)

Klipsch reference series speakers ( 7.1 )

So, which would you recommend for each room size? The 10 for the smaller and the 12 for the larger? Or will the 10 work for the larger room as well. I'm trying to stay within my budget, but if it's more cost-effective to do a certain size, then point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
If your ceilings have the standard 8ft height, then the PB10 would be just fine. The 12 has the same extension but is a bit higher in output. But with only 2000 cu ft, the extra headroom wouldn't really matter much. But then again, I'm only the voice of reason around here. :rolleyes:

Ian :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will have a 9' ceiling with a soffit that will hang down about 10".

So the 10 will do fine in either room size?

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will have a 9' ceiling with a soffit that will hang down about 10".

So the 10 will do fine in either room size?
You're still well under 2500 cu ft, which is less the average. Most definitely. ;)

Ian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Get the biggest sub your wallet and wife will allow.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usher
Get the biggest sub your wallet and wife will allow.
:eek:

I've been in Sales and Marketing for over 20 years and I believe you have the makings of a great salesmen Usher, selling something to someone they don't really need! :D

It's your money you earned it, so why not spend it wisely? ;) Hope you enjoy whatever sub you choose!

Ian

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was already thinking that the PB10 would do me just fine. I think I'll get that one and go from there. If anything, I can always use it in the living room with the TV and such.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Greets!

According to these measurements: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2004.html it won't come close to making reference strictly as an LFE channel (115 dB peaks/20 Hz/listening position), so if bass management is used (~122 dB for 5.1, ~123.4 dB for 7.1) then it's woefully inadequate even using the lower broadcasting reference level of 75 dB if either of these is a performance goal. It will be ~adequate if all you want it to do is add some reinforcement/extension down low or if your average listening level is somewhat lower than average for a dedicated HT, like would be required if you live in an apt. or similar. Still, considering the rest of your system, being able to watch at least at broadcast reference just in case the opportunity and/or desire arises........ ;)

Anyway, please let us know if it 'fills the bill' for you.

GM

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Reference level without the gear to get there, the room or the sub is far beyond many of us. In a 2000^3 room, I can't dream of it or want it. Peaks in the low 100s are about as high as I can stand. I've heard the PB10 completely pressurize a large room at -20. I say go for it.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
Reference level without the gear to get there, the room or the sub is far beyond many of us. In a 2000^3 room, I can't dream of it or want it. Peaks in the low 100s are about as high as I can stand. I've heard the PB10 completely pressurize a large room at -20. I say go for it.
[And those measurements were taken outside with out any room gain.]

Bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself Ron! ;)

Ian

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I will more than likely not use Klipsch at all now. I will probably go with the SVS 7.1 setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.