AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I hope you can help me decide what software is best for me. I understand this question is completely subjective but hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

What I would like to see in HTPC software:

1. Play DVD, CD-R, hopefully Blu-ray(not a requirement)

2. Some level of restriction for certain files/folders. I would like to stay away from profiles as much as possible. i.e. On start-up it boots to the main window, no logging in. If the user goes to a certain menu a passcode is required a simple 4-5 digit numerical code is fine. I basically want to keep my young children from watching R/Adult movies.

3. Play online tv shows/movies. Hulu,Vudu, Netflix...not a deal breaker but would be nice.

4. Simple web-browsing, basically allow us to check e-mail, facebook, etc...

5. And most importantly the WAF. It must be simple enough that our kids can find their movies and shows. They can read and browse folders fine.

Do deflect some of the "do your own research" responses, I have researched quite a bit.

I currently really like Element OS, the questions/problems I have is that it requires a QWERTY keyboard. It's the WAF, to play a movie or show using a remote only is a requirement. I might be misunderstanding this though, I am waiting for some components before I can finish my HTPC. I am also unsure about how profiles are handled. Since it is Linux I assume it still is unable to play Blu-Ray discs, again not a deal breaker but would be nice.

I have looked into XBMC, MediaPortal, Boxee and others. I am open to any however.

I haven't had experience with any of them though as this is my first HTPC. I am not a Linux pro but have some experience with it and not afraid to mess around in vi.

Thanks for your input,

Major

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have firsthand experience with MediaPortal, XBMC, and windows 7 MC.

“And most importantly the WAF” The way you prioritize the WAF I would choose 7MC. I love MP but you must invest time to get it running and keep it running.

There is a great plugin for HULU that you can load into 7MC.
http://huluwmc.teknowebworks.com/

and netflix is built in to 7MC (download on demand)

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape /forum/post/19553805

And most importantly the WAF The way you prioritize the WAF I would choose 7MC. I love MP but you must invest time to get it running and keep it running.

+1.... MP is by far my favorite, but it does take a bit of tweaking to make it work perfectly. For something that just works, I'd go 7MC.

I use 7MC for watching TV, and MediaPortal for everything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape /forum/post/19553805

And most importantly the WAF The way you prioritize the WAF I would choose 7MC. I love MP but you must invest time to get it running and keep it running.

I haven't messed with 7MC and i am not opposed to windows per se but would like to keep the price as little as possible. The integrated netflix would be a huge plus though. I assume it protects content by using user accounts? It appears that most use obscurity to hide adult programs from kiddos but I would like to just passcode protect folders and file, any media centers have this functionality?

I think I might have overplayed the WAF, as long as I am able to boot quickly and use a minimum amount of clicks to get to desired content the WAF will be achieved. (and of course look pretty)

Is Hulu still available for Boxee? I have read several pieces about Hulu not working but then it does work and vice-versa.

Thanks again,

Major

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Woody /forum/post/19554200

I haven't messed with 7MC and i am not opposed to windows per se but would like to keep the price as little as possible. The integrated netflix would be a huge plus though. I assume it protects content by using user accounts? It appears that most use obscurity to hide adult programs from kiddos but I would like to just passcode protect folders and file, any media centers have this functionality?

I think I might have overplayed the WAF, as long as I am able to boot quickly and use a minimum amount of clicks to get to desired content the WAF will be achieved. (and of course look pretty)

Is Hulu still available for Boxee? I have read several pieces about Hulu not working but then it does work and vice-versa.

Thanks again,

Major

Parental Controls. Media Browser has this feature built in. Such that if a movie is rated R then a pin code is required. Media Browser is a very popular plugin for 7MC that is used to browse and play your local movie library.

As noted you can install Hulu Desktop and with the plugin it will launch in 7MC. And Netflix is built in of course.

All that is needed is a remote for all this. I only use a keyboard to do maintenance or if I want to go to a web site. You can configure MC to launch on bootup instead of going to the desktop.

As for Boxee, Hulu is fine with Boxee on a computer. The problem is the Boxee box which like the Google TV box the networks are forcing Hulu to block a lot of content. But that's not an issue on the PC.

As for playing Bluray's, you'll need software like TMT or PDVD and both have plugins that integrate right into MC so you pretty much never have to leave the MC interface to do anything other then surf the web or if you need to stream a show off a network website directly. Very high WAF there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/19554372

Parental Controls. Media Browser has this feature built in. Such that if a movie is rated R then a pin code is required. Media Browser is a very popular plugin for 7MC that is used to browse and play your local movie library.

As noted you can install Hulu Desktop and with the plugin it will launch in 7MC. And Netflix is built in of course.

All that is needed is a remote for all this. I only use a keyboard to do maintenance or if I want to go to a web site. You can configure MC to launch on bootup instead of going to the desktop.

As for Boxee, Hulu is fine with Boxee on a computer. The problem is the Boxee box which like the Google TV box the networks are forcing Hulu to block a lot of content. But that's not an issue on the PC.

As for playing Bluray's, you'll need software like TMT or PDVD and both have plugins that integrate right into MC so you pretty much never have to leave the MC interface to do anything other then surf the web or if you need to stream a show off a network website directly. Very high WAF there.

Definitely sounds like I need to look at 7MC.

Any other suggestions?

Major

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.