AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading thread after thread on these forums, it seems like there are a ton of programs available for showing your media library and playing back movies. Here are a few I've seen on the forums:

- Windows media center

- XBMC

- Boxee

- Media Portal

- Popcorn Hour

- Media Browser

- Total Media Theatre 3

My question is: why are there so many of these, and is there a preferred one? I'm coming from XBMC on an XBOX console, which I found to be awesome, but it seems that nobody on here really uses XBMC as much as I would have thought. Is there an article somewhere on the pros and cons of these?

·
Registered
130 Posts
why are there so many?
that one is easy - free market and free choice

I personally use xbmc for downloaded content and Media center for Live TV and recorded TV. I tried to simplify it and get everything playing via Media center but had too many problems and issues so easiest thing for me was to use XBMC since I used it on my xbox and I'm use to it. This works great for me since XBMC supports pretty much every format that I use and I don't need to install third party plugins on my Media Center so its as clean as possible. I also installed latest version of DSPlayer xbmc version and get full GPU acceleration on playback.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaklee3 /forum/post/18139561

but it seems that nobody on here really uses XBMC as much as I would have thought.

Well, at the expense of looking like I'm a little out of touch with what XBMC has become, I'll go out on a limb and say that it isn't the mainstay around here because it is really good at playing DVD rips and illegally downloaded videos, but it isn't really full featured enough for people that want to do more than that.

Personally, I use SageTV because it does most of the things I want to do with my media. (I use J. River Media Center for audio.)

-Suntan

·
Banned
350 Posts
- XBMC is a bit too hard for the neophyte to configure.

- Media Portal is a bit less hard to setup than XBMC but still have some bugs to fix and new releases are rare.

- Windows Media Center is really easy to configure, comes and is well integrated with the OS. The stock install is kind of bleh though. But with the help of Media Browser plugin it becomes the top dog of frontend.

Other exist but they are not as popular, full featured or free.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
and here we go again...

it really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend and what OS you use.

It pretty much follows that model of every other piece of software...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.