AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I ordered a Sony HDR-XR550, since the cam is able to record with 5.1ch dolby sound, I want to know which software I can use to edit and burn the videos so I can get 5.1ch dolby digital sound out of my surround system when I burn the videos on Blu-Ray.

thanks

USMCj

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It depends on what level of Blu Ray disk you want. A pro level Blu Ray disk with motion menus, control over the remote buttons... etc... etc, then your best bet would be Vegas Pro.

If you want a Blu Ray disk with no menus (or very simple ones) then you could go with a freeware product like TSmuxer, or MultiAVCHD.

- Pinnacle Studio stinks for 5.1 sound (can't even properly import it)

- Ulead products won't do Blu Ray with real 5.1

- Adobe products don't have a dolby encoder included

- Vegas movie studio won't do 5.1 to Blu Ray

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/18223727

It depends on what level of Blu Ray disk you want. A pro level Blu Ray disk with motion menus, control over the remote buttons... etc... etc, then your best bet would be Vegas Pro.

If you want a Blu Ray disk with no menus (or very simple ones) then you could go with a freeware product like TSmuxer, or MultiAVCHD.

- Pinnacle Studio stinks for 5.1 sound (can't even properly import it)

- Ulead products won't do Blu Ray with real 5.1

- Adobe products don't have a dolby encoder included

- Vegas movie studio won't do 5.1 to Blu Ray

Thanks, so vegas pro will burn blu-ray in 5.1cd DD?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some more research, it looks like PowerDirector 8 does everything I need including burning blu-ray and 5.1ch audio support.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCj /forum/post/18225539

including burning blu-ray and 5.1ch audio support.

Well.... sort of.

It will pass through 5.1 audio, but it only shows up as stereo. In otherwords you can't really edit it.

In Vegas pro when you import a mts file, you will see all 7 tracks open (1 video track and 6 separate audio tracks.... see screen shot) so the 5.1 is editable. In PD you only get a video track and what looks like to be a stereo track. I'm also not sure the subwoofer channel is reproduced in PD

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigbarney- Thanks for the info, I have never used Vegas Pro, is it difficult to create menus, buttons and burn to blu-ray with it? Im not going to be doing a whole lot of editing, just some trimming and maybe some transitions/effects and such.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCj /forum/post/18228749

bigbarney- Thanks for the info, I have never used Vegas Pro, is it difficult to create menus, buttons and burn to blu-ray with it? Im not going to be doing a whole lot of editing, just some trimming and maybe some transitions/effects and such.

That's not easy for me to answer since I've used it for years and it's much like my right hand.

I will say that you can't simply walk into it and have it down pat in 2 hours like PD. It'll take a bit of time.

But yes it does a good job at making menus and you have full control over which remote buttons and such you want the viewer to be able to use and not use.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it, thanks

I guess Ill just mess with it till I figure it out. I have seen some vids one youtube showing how to do certain things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts