AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a specific solder type that is recommended for soldering speaker wire to banana plugs and wall plates? I just want to make sure that I do not use a solder that will increase the resistance at the solder point.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher /forum/post/0


Is there a specific solder type that is recommended for soldering speaker wire to banana plugs and wall plates?

Standard 60%-tin/40%-lead Rosin Core Solder

 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any special techniques, or just slop it on?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,052 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0


You will need some flux to make the solder stick to the ends and also remember to heat the wire and plate carefully and don't slpop it on because a little solder goes a long way.

I was kidding about the slopping.
I appreciate the input. I will practice on a few pieces before I go for the gold.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,898 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0


You will need some flux to make the solder stick to the ends



Actually ... all the flux you need is contained in the solder I recommended.


In 40 years in electronics, I've never seen separate flux used - that's for plumbing!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,052 Posts
I mentioned the flux because sometimes people are beginners and a little bit won't hurt,I was just trying to help.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/0


Some like to use the 4% silver solder in speakers.

The stuff that contains silver is more expensive but it also takes longer to heat up and melt / apply. So for you first shot I'd use the trusted ol' 60/40 stuff. Alternatively there are bananna plugs that use screws to hold the wire in place and other that use a compression type fit to hold the wire.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC /forum/post/0


The stuff that contains silver is more expensive but it also takes longer to heat up and melt / apply. So for you first shot I'd use the trusted ol' 60/40 stuff. Alternatively there are bananna plugs that use screws to hold the wire in place and other that use a compression type fit to hold the wire.

Thanks Eric. I have looked for the screw type banana plugs and they are a.) hard to find, and b.) more expensive that I am looking at for my HT right now. I am basically going to solder the speaker wire I will have in the wall to a 7.1 wall plate. The rest of the wires should work in the banana plugs I have without solder.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/0




Actually ... all the flux you need is contained in the solder I recommended.


In 40 years in electronics, I've never seen separate flux used - that's for plumbing!!


I never used flux myself, except for plumbing.


I have used that RS solder, it does fine.

Although I picked up a big roll of MultiCore 21swg solder, and have used that for years.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher /forum/post/0


Is there a specific solder type that is recommended for soldering speaker wire to banana plugs and wall plates? I just want to make sure that I do not use a solder that will increase the resistance at the solder point.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To make your speakers sound better, you should use only "teflon" solder.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher /forum/post/0


Thanks Eric. I have looked for the screw type banana plugs and they are a.) hard to find, and b.) more expensive that I am looking at for my HT right now. I am basically going to solder the speaker wire I will have in the wall to a 7.1 wall plate. The rest of the wires should work in the banana plugs I have without solder.

The screw in male bannana plugs at my local electronics store (sells resistors, capcitors, switches etc) are $1 a piece. Do you have a wall plate already? If not look at the Leviton Quick Ports. Great stuff and you don't need to solder them. They have screw type terminals on both sides that accomodate everything from barewire to spades to banannas. You can get this stuff at Home Depot. Plus it looks really professional, easy to install and is highly flexible. A little bit more money but well worth it IMO.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC /forum/post/0


The screw in male bannana plugs at my local electronics store (sells resistors, capcitors, switches etc) are $1 a piece. Do you have a wall plate already? If not look at the Leviton Quick Ports. Great stuff and you don't need to solder them. They have screw type terminals on both sides that accomodate everything from barewire to spades to banannas. You can get this stuff at Home Depot. Plus it looks really professional, easy to install and is highly flexible. A little bit more money but well worth it IMO.

I got a 7.1 wall plate already. I can screw into the back if I wanted to, or get some banana clips that are the crimp type, but I wanted something that was a little more permanent. I guess I can check on those things at HD as well. I do appreciate your help.


Thanks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/0


Just make sure you buy electrical solder, and not acid flux solder.


Acid core flux things up...


Groan.

Nice play on words there, Paul.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/0


Acid core flux things up...

It is good for plumbing ;-)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top