AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are newbies and have been shopping around for a bit and are ready to purchase. We are looking at the Sony 46V5100, 46Z5100, or 46W5100. We have an old 36" Panasonic so we don't have much experience to go by. I understand that the Z is 240 Hz but not sure if that matters all that much. The larger questions we have are about the bugs and any problems that some of the televisions might have. Also, I remember reading that the pedestals on some of the models lean a little forward a little and are not that secure. Can anyone give me some guidance on which of these is the better bet?

The V is the least expensive. The Z is $400 more than the V, the W is $200 more than the V. Thank you so much to the experts out there for any information you can provide!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go for the 46W5100. You don't really need 240Hz. If you want better sound , then add the sound bar. I have the 46W3000 for about 2 years and I'm quite happy with it. I intend to buy the 52W5100 in the next month or so for the master bedroom.

dtd_98

·
Banned
518 Posts
240hz will benefit you if you are do gaming and watch a lot of action movies / fast motion movies. 46Z5100, Amazon.com bundle with 'Video On Demand' offer now http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-46Z5100-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B0020NITOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249143446&sr=1-1

if you are not doing any gaming and 240hz will be less utilize, then go for V-series and save some money http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-46V5100-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B001T9N0EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249143400&sr=1-1

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen /forum/post/16925465

240hz will benefit you if you are do gaming and watch a lot of action movies / fast motion movies. 46Z5100, Amazon.com bundle with 'Video On Demand' offer now http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-46Z5100-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B0020NITOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249143446&sr=1-1

if you are not doing any gaming and 240hz will be less utilize, then go for V-series and save some money http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-46V5100-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B001T9N0EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249143400&sr=1-1
""240hz will benefit you if you are do gaming and watch a lot of action movies / fast motion movies""

individual preferences aside...most will tell you that the motion processing of 120Hz or 240 Hz is specifically designed to be used for live broadcast especially sports to provide better motion handling. specifically, it is advisable not to use it for movies at all because it messes with normal movie frame rate in a negative way for most movie freaks.

it is also usually not recommended for gaming, especially fps, because the processing introduces additional lag time.

but, to each his own

TVbc

·
Registered
45 Posts
The difference between the V5100 and W5100 is V5100 has BE2 and W5100 has BE3. You may want BE3 because it is the latest.Price difference between the V and W is around $150 to $200. Just shop around.

dtd_98

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Does the Z have any features that the V & W don't have -- besides 240 hz? Can I view photos from my PC on all of these models? Do any of these televisions have any known problems or "bugs" that Sony does not have updates for?

Thank you so much for the info! It has been really helpful.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanc /forum/post/16926859

Thank you. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 46V5100 and the 46W5100?

The "W" has a much better panel than the "V". In fact, the "W" may have a 10-bit panel vs the 8-bit panel the "V" uses. I've also noticed in the stores that the viewing angle on the 2009 "V" doesn't seem to be as good as the 2008 "V" was.

However, the Z5100 is really the way to go if you want to spend a few extra bucks. It definitely has a 10-bit panel and the BE3 engine. Even if you don't need the 240hz, this TV has some of the blackest blacks and most natural color you will ever seen on an LCD. I have two Samsung "650s" that I dearly love, but if the new Z5100 had been available when I bought my newest Samsung B650, I would certainly have given it a good long look.

The bottom line is that all 3 of the TVs you are considering are good ones, but I would give the most serious consideration to the "W" or the "Z".

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone have the V5100? If so, does having the HDMI inputs on the side look bad? I want good picture quality but don't want people to see the wires sticking out the side of my t.v. Anyone have an opinion or are dealing with this issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDallas /forum/post/17641173

Does anyone have the V5100? If so, does having the HDMI inputs on the side look bad? I want good picture quality but don't want people to see the wires sticking out the side of my t.v. Anyone have an opinion or are dealing with this issue?

I believe there's about a 2-inch inset beyond the side inputs, so you should be able to bend your cables down/back so as to be unnoticeable. I have this set, and there aren't any cables visible, so either I've got the HDMI plugged into the back inputs, or there isn't a problem (frankly, I've already forgotten how I've hooked that sucker up)...

Check out V5100 Owner's thread if you have more questions. Personally, I'm probably going to be returning it to get the W instead. There are issues with "red flashing" on the v5100 which, while some people don't notice/don't care, for me is worth the extra $200 not to have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I was lured in by the bargain of the T.V. but it seems everyone is just complaining about the T.V. Consumer reports has the T.V. listed as a good buy but after reading all the posts it sounds like a crap shoot. Anyone know of any other good T.V.'s out there for under 1K?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDallas /forum/post/17641173

I just got the KDL46V5100 on Black Friday and love it. Picture is awesome and its is one heck of a value. The cables on the side don't stick out so you can see them on mine. You could always go with the angle cables anyways if that bothered you, but as I said, they are just hanging down through the cable wrap on the stand and you can't see them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm surprised to hear you're having a good experience with your T.V. Everyone else seems to have issues with it. I understand many of the T.V.'s have to be updated with firmware but it sounds as though Sony customer service is god awful.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDallas /forum/post/17653675

I'm surprised to hear you're having a good experience with your T.V. Everyone else seems to have issues with it. I understand many of the T.V.'s have to be updated with firmware but it sounds as though Sony customer service is god awful.

I have a V and haven't had any problems with it - it's a great set.

One nice feature of this year's V-series is that it comes in a 55" size, which is unavailable in the W, Z, and XBR lines. There is a 65" W, but it's really, really expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.