AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been following the changes in HDTV hardware lately so I was wondering if yall could give me a suggestion of which Sony HDTV to buy. I do want to buy a Sony.......

Do they have one out that has the firewire and the tuner built in??

THX

Mark Condon

------------------
Mark's Home Theater

I am going to enjoy seeing you die, Mr Anderson.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Mitsubishi will be coming out with a 2002 model 55" RPTV that has a built in tuner and firewire. Get that.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Banned
3,282 Posts
Savageone79,

I am curious about the reasoning you used to reach your conclusion. Granted, Sony has had their problems, but do you really think they are worse than RCA sets?

The 4:3 xbr and hs10 had geometry problems in 16:9 mode, but its easily corrected by adjusting the service mode settings. As for satellite/cable/dvd, Sony's DRC is one of the better technologies for reducing scan lines.

T-Bone

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a Sony 34" HD TV and I am very pleased with it. The model number is KW34HD1. It has a built in OTA tuner. Email if you want more specifics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw posted in a newsgroup that Sony tvs made for the Japan market are way high quality stes then the ones for the US market. I checked otu the sony web site in japan and they have the HD700 series that looks mind blowing and their back panle is full of variable input connectivity. I say to the members in here if money is no object go and get yourself a real HD set directly in Japan and then when you come back, buy yourself a good power transformer for North American electricity standard.

If you have the chance to go to the Japan Wega web site I guaranty you will drool!

Check it out!

·
Registered
70 Posts
>>>>Do they have one out that has the firewire and the tuner built in??

Not yet but soon:
http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/116

I haven't heard anything since but I assume that the release is on track.

I expect the Sony XBR2s to be competitive with the comparable Mitsubishis, also set for release soon.

·
Registered
33,591 Posts
Mark,

To put things in perspective, I have ONLY bought Sony NTSC sets for the past 15 years. I truly believe that even today they make the best of that breed. HOWEVER, when it come to HD, this is a company that seems (especially when you consider the technologies at their disposal) disinterested in high definition. I think the only HD Sony I've seen that impressed me was the 34" HD1. That was a great set and even holds its own today. However, if you look at their HD RPTVs, I can't believe that Sony built them. I have yet to see one of these that even remotely looks "HD". Far far better choices are to be had with many other manufacturers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.