AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After returning a Sanyo 30" HDTV because I wasn't overall satisfied with the picture and features on it, I have decided to go with one of these two Sony 30" WS HDTV:

Sony KV-30HS420

Sony KD-30XS955

With the HS420, I would have to get an external HD tuner (approx. $200). Is it worth an extra $200 to go with the 30XS955? Doesn't the XS955 have a higher resolution screen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It has a super fine pitch tube, which originated in last year's XBR models. It is a higher resolution than the standard 'hi-scan' tube. How far from the screen will you be sitting? If it's over 7 feet or so you may not even notice the increased resolution. In which case you'll only be paying for the added features of the XS model, better menus, built in tuners, CableCARD, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jdubyac300,

I am in the same position that you are in. I'm about to return the 30" Sanyo because the barrel roll is just too much for me. I am considering the KD-30XS955, but wondering if it is worth the increased cost over the KV-30HS420. I am currently using the OTA tuner on the Sanyo, but will be moving in a few months to a market with HD tuner rental. Maybe I should return the Sanyo now, then wait until I move and purchase one of the Sonys. Any thoughts? What decision did you make in the end?

Ryan

·
Banned
134 Posts
I was curious as to why you guys bought the Sanyo to begin with, did it get good reviews? I was just wondering 'cause it seems like you could have saved a lot of hassle by just getting a better quality tv to begin with, not saying you won't have problems with the Sony buy Sanyo vs. Sony? , there really is no competition as far as picture quality goes I would think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
auntyjune19,

Oh c'mon... replace the "a" in Sanyo with the "o" and you have Sony - right?!? Actually, I recently decided that I could no longer wait to get HDTV. Before this, I had an 800x600 DLP projector set up which was pretty impressive. But as I've matured, I've decided to opt for quality over quantity. Coming from the computer world, I wanted something digital. After seeing the shortcomings of projection and wanting to stay away from them, I was left with flat panel direct view. I quickly realized that these were way out of my price range. Furthermore, the prices on these sets are droping so rapidly that it would be difficult for me to invest in one and feel good about it. So I decided to put off my flat panel purchase and get a CRT to hold me over (for who knows how long). At first the Sonys were really appealing. But after reading about the much cheaper Sanyos (with integrated ATSC and QAM tuners), I figured why not give one of them a shot? The PQ is no doubt better than the 800x600 I had before. And I can even watch it with the lights on!

Unfortunately, after many hours of tweaking in the service menus, I just can't get the geometry right. There is way too much barrel roll. I think I read something about the Sanyos having poor power supplies and that the electron beam can't "make it" to the edges of the screen properly. But in the process of this experimentation, I've decided that I really do like CRTs (even though they are not digital) and maybe I should just get a really good CRT that will last for a long time. Sure would make a nice bedroom TV after I get my 1080p flat panel ;). Actually, I'm in the process of building a mount for my projector to project onto the ceiling of my bedroom. We'll see how that goes?!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.