Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony HT-CT150

or

Samsung HW-C450

or

Samsung HT-WS1G

1. I want it for watching bluerays/DVDs and playing xbox. I dont have a huge living room, not too small but a normal size I guess. Which do you guys recommend is a good one?

2. I have my blueray player,xbox,Uverse cable box hooked up to my TV via HDMI cables. My question is, If I use a optical cable from my TV to sound bar, will that automaticly play sound for all 3, will have to switch cables around to use the sound bar for each one?

I know there are sound bars out there that have HDMI connections built in, but I dont know why they would be used.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The optical cable out from your TV is fine for a 2.1 setup. The cable can pass 5 channels technically but the TV will only pass 2 channel stereo sound regardless. You won't have to switch cables or anything. Just make sure the optical out is enabled on the TV audio settings.

The Sony seems to be highly reviewed although I haven't tried it myself. At any rate it will be a huge step up from the TV speakers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Different manufacturers kit is normally compatible so you should be ok.

As to your earlier questions:

Yes - if you connect your gadgets to the tv and then the optical output to the soundbar that should do the trick.

HDMI (Especially HDMI ARC) is a better bet if you can afford it.

A single HDMI (ARC)out from the soundbar to the TV allows more data and the TV should be able to transmit back if its also ARC compliant so its more tidy from a cabling point of view.

Some soundbars (noteably the high end yamaha units) have multiple HDMI inputs so you can connect your gadgets directly and then pass through the video to the TV.

Hope that helps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.