AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am trying to create a list with the speaker companies you think are using real science when designing speakers, who makes high quality and performance products, sometimes innovative, with a good/excelent value/money, good reliability, good customer support, good service.
Also, I would like to know why you choose one or another.

For instance, I work with people with all kind of budgets, so when I tried to find real hi-end speakers, I went with a client and listened to a pair of Tidal Contriva with Vitus, then Ascendo System m5-s with Accuphase A-200 five days in a row. Then, we went to listen for at least 2 times, 3-4 hours each time to B&W 800D with Classe (of course), then Revel Ultima Salon2 with Pass X350.5, then Focal Maestro with Mark Levinson, Martin Logan Summit x with Naim, then Kef Blade with Musical Fidelity AMS100 and finaly Sonus Faber Amati Futura with Devialet 400. So, what I found is that even though the Tidal and Ascendo are more expensive, they weren't the best. Also these speaker companies made no innovation whatsoever, nothing to grab the attention of an engineer.Yes, the Tidals are very beautiful and heavy but so are the Focal. Most of the other choices sounded better overall (even though each of the two had their key points, like the dynamic treble from the Ascendo's and beautiful finnish of the Tidals) so I've decided for my client to buy the Revel's with Devialet; I made a very good choice and also, because he had so much money left, he invested in room acoustic treatment, furniture and 2 pairs of surround speakers and a center from Revel plus one Cinenova Grande power amp, one Onkyo surround processor and turned his room in an stereo and surround auditorium.
This is only one example, but there are many more companies out there that make speakers for which I cannot find a motive to try to sell them, and others who makes real good quality and high value products.
These next companies have proven they are some of the best, but I would like to read your opinion on them and if you know others, write them here:

-Kef
-Bowers and Wilkins
-Revel
-Tannoy
-Axiom
-Adam audio
-Zu
-Wilson Benesch
-Linkwitz
-Athom
-Avantgarde
-Bryston
-Thiel
-Vivid Audio
-Teufel
-Sonus Faber
-Cabasse
-Dali
-Elac
-Jbl
-Magico
-PSB
-TAD
-Paradigm
-Klipsch
-Legacy
-Kyron Audio

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
MartinLogan, hands down...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I made my decision on speakers/amps after listening a/b with a 100grand setup. I paid less than 10k and feel like Im listening to that 100k setup. Obviously many systems so great, but I am more than happy with what I spent and have.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Heavy European slant on your list there........;)

Some manufactures you've listed I'd personally toss.......and no, will not identify which manufacturers.

Triad should be identified somewhere due to ability to offer custom builds, along with flexibility with application ie in-ceiling, wall, floor, and in room.......not to mention Cinema Reference is world class! Not many speaker companys have ability to engineer projects on the spot.

Aerial Acoustics makes some of the finest sounding speakers......20T V2's are exquisite!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heavy European slant on your list there........;)

Some manufactures you've listed I'd personally toss.......and no, will not identify which manufacturers.

Triad should be identified somewhere due to ability to offer custom builds, along with flexibility with application ie in-ceiling, wall, floor, and in room.......not to mention Cinema Reference is world class! Not many speaker companys have ability to engineer projects on the spot.

Aerial Acoustics makes some of the finest sounding speakers......20T V2's are exquisite!
I sure have European bias, I have experienced only products from companies who have dealers in my countries or near to it like Greece, Italy and Germany. Thanks for your suggestions, I will serch for more info on Aerial and Cinema Reference, but both looks promising;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
After watching the following video, I'd have to vote for Harman / JBL / Revel / Infinity:

I'm not sure if anyone is doing the kind of research they are, but As I understand it Paradigm and PSB also do similar kinds of double blind testing at the NRC.

Personally I own Ascend speakers. One of the reasons I went with them is that they publish off axis FR graphs. I don't believe too many manufacturers do this. (Toole speaks about he importance of these measurements in the video.)

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I sure have European bias, I have experienced only products from companies who have dealers in my countries or near to it like Greece, Italy and Germany. Thanks for your suggestions, I will serch for more info on Aerial and Cinema Reference, but both looks promising;)
Understandable..........I'm an Americanized European........Father is German native, while Mother was British born which opens eyes to what's overseas................ I must confess, Adam Audio Tensors are absolutely stunning and one of my favorites! ;)

BTW, Triad manufactures Cinema Reference speakers.........one of the BEST speaker systems I've heard. Here is a photo taken at Triad Corporate Office

Here is picture of Aerial Acoustic 20T V2.........

Here is picture of Aerial Acoustic 9

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Ariel Acoustics for me too.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts