AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming that electronics and any separate dedicated outboard self powered subwoofers where entirely thrown out of the equation and thus non-factors in the decision, which of the following speaker sets would you choose (and why) in order of preference for about a 50/50 split of movies and primarily rock music? Also, please throw cost out as an issue too. Just recommend the speakers based entirely on their sound performance and nothing else.

M&K: 2 pairs of S85 satellites (4 total speakers, 1 pair for mains and 1 pair for surrounds), S85C center, and 1 pair of S75 satellites for surrounds

Infinity: 1 pair of IL60 mains (which do include built in subs), 1 IL36C center channel, 2 pairs of IL50 for surround duty (which also include built in subs, although not as big as those in the IL60), OR 2 pairs of IL10 bookshelves for surround duty instead of the IL50s

Polk Audio: RTi150 mains, CSi40 center, 2 pairs of FXi30 bipole/dipole surrounds

Klipsch: KSP400 mains (with built in subs), KSP C6 center, KSP S6 surrounds, OR instead KLF30 mains, KLF C7 center, KSP S6 surrounds

Please keep it to specifically the speaker models listed.

Opinions please, and thanks in advance.

****EDIT*****

------------------ Please see JBL package I also added in post #3.----------------

·
Registered
452 Posts
My choice would be the KLF-30, KLF-C7, and KSP-S6 setup, your other choices can only dream of giving you the unrestrained dynamics like these will. Rock music too, the KLF30's have unofficially been dubbed the world’s ultimate rock-n-roll speakers. With as high a sensitivity as all these speakers have, they will present the easiest load on your amps as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry, Mark, I had to ask. If you decide on something other than Polk, whahca gonna do with all those RTi 150s you got?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was just talking to a Genelec dealer the other day that said Klipsh had a set of speakers at CEDIA that were as good as the Genelecs. That said, I have S150P M&K's and I don't see how you could get more realistic sound for HT. When people speak it sounds as though they are standing behind the screen. I don't know how this carries over to their other models though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have had the s-85's for 6 years and love them. I bought them as a temporary set of speakers but fell in love with hem. I upgraded last year to the 150thx system and now use the s-85's in my bedroom. You will not go wrong with these speakers. Match the s-85's with a nice M&K sub and you are set to amaze all your friends.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I own the IL36c and the IL10s (using IL40/IL120 sub for the mains) and am quite happy with them. I haven't tried the other speakers you've listed so can't really comment on them but am quite sure that if you went with the Infinity Interlude speakers, you would not be disappointed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have been a Klipsch fan for several years. Compared to JBL and others in this price range and Klipsch takes it hands down. If you have the cash, take a listen to B&W.

If you are looking for a great pair of mains and want to shop around, look for a used pair of Klipsch Forte's. Great SPL and pack a punch. Very efficient (you could probably drive them with a 9v battery!) and I will NEVER get rid of mine.

good luck

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, so far it looks like M&K is in the lead, and Klipsch is running a close second, with absolutely noone as of yet choosing the JBLs, so I guess that for right now, they are in last place.

Reason I'm asking about these particular models listed is that I either already own them, or can get them at a great price, either new or used, and just wanted to get some other's perspective on them all.

I already have the M&K set in question, and they are awesome on movies. Especially considering their size, they are almost the perfect bedroom speaker system. However, I just don't think that they are quite as good on plain old 2 channel stereo music listening. Maybe the best thing to do would be to keep them just for movies only, and have an entirely different 2 channel stereo music set.

I've tried to audition the JBLs before in a Best Buy here pretty recently (before they stopped carrying them there), but it's about impossible to get a halfway descent audition there, as I'm sure you all already know. But from what I could tell of them, I did like them. They are also small enough to be a bedroom sized speaker system. I thought that maybe they would be better on music than the M&Ks, while still being very good on movies too.

Jack, unfortunately, 1 pair of the 150s is going to have to go back. One of them was totally busted right along nearly the entire length of the seams of the cabinet in one corner where they join. Was like that right out of the box. Such a shame. Later, I noticed the box that particular speaker came in had footprints all over one side of it where somebody was actually stepping on it. I'll still have 2 pairs of them left though!

The Polk Rti 150 is an awesome rock speaker, provided you have a lot of power to drive it, and by that I mean at least a 200 watt per channel power amp minimum. It is relatively efficient, and a receiver in the 100 watt or so per channel range can drive it (such as my Denon 3802), but it needs much, much power to truly shine to all of it's capabilities and show just what they really can do. I really dig the Polk set up I have right now too, but in case I change my mind, it's still not too late to return them all. In addition to the Polks listed in post 1, I also have an additional pair of Rti150s to go in the back corners angled in for listening to music on SACD or DVD Audio (as some of you already know, the 3802/3, 4802, and 5803 actually allow you to connect 2 pairs of back surround speakers (in addition to the side surrounds), and then you simply switch the amps in the receiver to whichever set of speakers you are using at the time. That way, you can have the best of both worlds, bipoles in the rear center wall for movies, and full range direct radiator monopoles in the rear corners that are identical the main l/r speakers to keep the 4 corners all the same for hi-rez music multi channel music formats (and the extra bass demands they call for will be MORE than covered with an extra set of 150s back there). Plus, I got these Polks CHEAP! Another thing about the Polks is that I have the option for a year of trading them all up to the new Polk RTi line (which is about to come out in October) with their new Vifa tweeters and improved cabinetry.

Thanks to everyone who's weighed in so far, and please keep the opinion going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.