AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've browsed quite a while here, a couple of days in fact just this topic alone. While I learned a lot, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a living room sized 16 x 16 x 18 feet (actually it's a room that's opened to the second floor balcony) with three wall-sides and one open side (no wall). I will be purchasing the yamaha rx-v2700 and a set of speakers, hopefully getting a deal with Tweeter for the whole package, or separate. I'd also prefer b&m unless there's a big diff in price.

I'd be doing 60-70% movies, mostly actions and some dramas, some gaming (when my wife allows) with PS3 and very minimal, 5%, music. Although I suspect I currently seldom listen to music because I simply don't have a stereo set.

For my price range, Tweeter has the Focal SIBXLSYSPB package, which I couldn't find much info on. My question to you is, for the same price range, what other options do I have, keeping the Focal set in mind? What other competing products should I be looking at? Since I'm such a newbie, pls mention complete models you have in mind and not just brand, although I very much appreciate any input.

Thanks a lot!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me just add, I spent quite a bit of time listening to a set of Polk Audio and the Focal set above, the Focal is very good. I will probably buy this set, before I do that I'd definitely appreciate any input.

I believe the Focal is a 6.1 set.

Thanks again.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Does Tweeters have the JBL Studio L series? If so, check them out. 5 bookshelf or on-walls should be about $2k. For another $600~700, depending on model, you could go with towers for the mains, a center, two on-walls.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/ser...=US&Region=USA

· Registered
118 Posts
Save your money and get B&W 703's 3k a pair. maybe less if you look.

· Registered
14,091 Posts
Oh, heck, I'll say it. Go check out the NHT Classic series. Much better value, IMO, than Focal or B&W or Polk and easier on the ears. Detailed, but smooth and natural.

· Registered
303 Posts
You gotta find some specialty audio stores and check them out yourself!

If you are dead set on buying at tweeter I personally feel that the focals I heard were the best speakers there. They were towers, and I think right around 2.3k a pair.

· Registered
We just moved, it's in shambles!
583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroe /forum/post/0

Save your money and get B&W 703's 3k a pair. maybe less if you look.

Sure, if suddenly he just wanted two speakers he could get those... or something better for less.

· Registered
7,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien /forum/post/0

Sure, if suddenly he just wanted two speakers he could get those... or something better for less.

^^^^ ROFL

As much as those speakers are, I just didn't see them being worth the price..

Now if you want to go with B&W, In my eyes, you would have to start at the 800's...

But I don't think they are worth the coconuts you have to shell out for them..

But they are pretty..

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These last few days I've been looking around instead of rushing into a decision. I've reviewed a few other setups and would like your comments, please.

Just as a reminder, my purpose is to get a 6.1 or 7.1 setup for 1.5-2.5K (3K a pair is too much). My preference is movie watching, with music as secondary priority. I'll get a Yamaha RX-V2700 to go with the setup (separate budget).

Here's my current preferred setup:

3 Paradigm Cinema 330 (L/C/R)

2 PC 90

2 PC ADP

1 SVS 20-39 PCi Subwoofer

Saturday I'll be looking at B&W FPM series, but I think the sub is still going to be the SVS.

Please let me know what you think. I'm sorry, I can't view/listen to the suggestions that my local dealers don't carry. I pretty much can only listen to Martin Logan, the Focals above, Polk Audio, the B&W FPM series, and Paradigm Cinema series from these local stores.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a quick summary of my experience so far.

The Focals are not too bad, I had a two story living room, I was afraid the speakers may be too small. (Even though comparing wattage alone, the Paradigm had comparable or lower wattage, but as everyone says, hearing/listening is everything)

The Paradigm was pretty good, I had it cranked up to around -10 or -12dB on a yamaha 1700 (or is it 2600?) in the store and watched both the Bourne Supremacy- the Moscow car chasing scene and Gone in 60 seconds - Eleanor chasing. And I can tell you it wow'd me and the family to the point my daughter said that if daddy watches this (with the new setup) she wouldn't get a chance to watch Dora, hehehe. She got that right! That was the smaller Paradigm Cinema series, not the 330, which should be better. That's this is my current pick.

Then this afternoon we saw Spiderman - the New York fight scene with that green thing (this was not my pick, I picked those two above) on the B&W M-1 series, the sound is below average. The conversation sounded mumbled, and the crashing of the windows didn't produce a high pitched sound (when glasses are broken). Therefore we made an appointment to test the B&W FPM series and Martin Logan Vignette or Fresco series. The Martin Logan sets may blow thru my budget, but the FPM fits in.

Again, any input is much appreciated as I'm still inconclusive. Thanks.

· Registered
77 Posts
If you are looking at Focal, step up to their real speakers, not the Sib's. I also agree that the NHT's are worth a listen. They made my last cut before I went with Focal. Try the options below if you can find somewhere to demo them.

4 Focal 806v's and a CC800V with an SVS sub (if that is a touch over budget, check the new 706v's and CC700V)

4 NHT Classic 3's and a Center 3 with an SVS sub (if that is over budget, check out the Classic 2's with a Center 2)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.