AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, this is my first post, I hope you guys can help with this.

1- I bought the Sony STR-DG700 AVR . Which speakers I can use with it, and which I cannot? what are the max / min specs of the compatible speakers in terms of watt, ohms, etc ? 

2- I am considering one Peerless set, and another Pure Acoustics (that fit my budget). Which of these 5.1 sets is preferable (please see their pages and Translate into English.

3-  I have a Divoom Comet D1 surround sound system in whose sub-woofer unit they embedded the amplifier+controllers,  (what do you call that type of sub-woofer unit?). 

Can I somehow use that sub-woofer unit with the Sony STR-DG700 AVR ?? 

4- I am willing to connect the receiver and the speakers I get, to my LG 47LM5800 3D TV, that only has one audio out, an optical one. 

Can the TV send 5.1 Dolby Digital / DTS signal to the receiver , or not necessarily, and it may have optical out but only pass stereo signal through it ?

What is the perfect setup of my home theatre that will consist of these 3 components (LG TV, sony AVR, and 5.1 speakers)?

Since I am a newbie in this stuff, I'll appreciate any details you can give :)

Thanks in advance 

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
can't ready anything in those links for the Peerless and Pure Acoustics sets but I think they'll work with your receiver.

I don't see how you'd connect that Divoom to the Sony receiver.

Where are you located by the way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1496672/which-speakers-to-use-with-the-sony-str-dg700-avr#post_23880065

can't ready anything in those links for the Peerless and Pure Acoustics sets but I think they'll work with your receiver.

I don't see how you'd connect that Divoom to the Sony receiver.

Where are you located by the way?

Hi Afrogt, thank you and I really appreciate the time you are taking to help.. 

1- If you please translate the page into English, you'll see the speaker's specs in a somewhat readable English. 

2- Could you please let me know, based on the AVR's specs, what are the maximum and minimum speakers' specs which I can use with this AVR ? 

I am in Israel, and by the way, I often found certain electronics brands that are not found anywhere else in the world :)

Yet apparently Peerless and Pure Acoustics are not Israel-exclusive. 

3- Concerning the Divoom, yes I thought I can't connect the sub-unit. But what about the speakers, can I use them with that Sony AVR (their specs in that page I linked above)

Like I said, any details are appreciated. 

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
Those Divoom speakers are 4 ohm speakers and the distortion is high. Plus the drivers are only 2.5". I wouldn't use that system at all. Style over substance.

You need to use 6 or 8 ohm speakers with that Sony receiver, not 4 ohms. Both the Peerless and Pure Acoustics speakers are 8 ohm sets, they'd work fine with your Sony 700. Don't worry about the minimum and max speaker specs. Those speakers are designed to handle whatever power your Sony can put into them.

those Peerless and Pure Acoustics sets appear to be 5.0, not 5.1 because I don't see a subwoofer included. Get whichever of those systems sounds best to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1496672/which-speakers-to-use-with-the-sony-str-dg700-avr#post_23880180

Those Divoom speakers are 4 ohm speakers and the distortion is high. Plus the drivers are only 2.5". I wouldn't use that system at all. Style over substance.

You need to use 6 or 8 ohm speakers with that Sony receiver, not 4 ohms. Both the Peerless and Pure Acoustics speakers are 8 ohm sets, they'd work fine with your Sony 700. Don't worry about the minimum and max speaker specs. Those speakers are designed to handle whatever power your Sony can put into them.

those Peerless and Pure Acoustics sets appear to be 5.0, not 5.1 because I don't see a subwoofer included. Get whichever of those systems sounds best to you.
Thanks again Afrogt. 

Yes indeed, they are all 8 ohms, but what about the watts of the AVR vs the speakers ? Does that not matter ? 

So if the AVR's specs say "Amplifier Output : 6 Ohm"

Then 6 or 8 Ohm would be good ? 

And so the only element that determines whether certain speakers are compatible with a certain AVR, is their Ohm number, and the AVR must have either equal to or higher Ohm , but not less ?

I believe the higher the db is (92), the better, is it so? 

Yes indeed, no sub unit with these. What are the recommended specs for a sub unit that I can use with this AVR ?

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
A receiver that is rated for 6 ohm speakers can handle 8 ohm speakers. 8 ohm speakers are easier to drive.

Higher sensitivity speakers are easier for the receiver to handle. Yes, 92db is higher and easier than 90db but both are no trouble for your receiver. Go with the speakers than sound better.

Have no idea what subwoofers are available to you over there. Just get a powered sub, 10" or 12" would be recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1496672/which-speakers-to-use-with-the-sony-str-dg700-avr#post_23880271

A receiver that is rated for 6 ohm speakers can handle 8 ohm speakers. 8 ohm speakers are easier to drive.

Higher sensitivity speakers are easier for the receiver to handle. Yes, 92db is higher and easier than 90db but both are no trouble for your receiver. Go with the speakers than sound better.

Have no idea what subwoofers are available to you over there. Just get a powered sub, 10" or 12" would be recommended.

Thanks again Afrogt.

Concerning the watts, my understanding is that the watts of the AVR and the speakers must be as close as possible. 

Sony says about the AVR: 
Quote:
Discrete 6 channels with equally 100W (+subwoofer) 

Does this mean it drives 100W to each speakers? 

If so, it means I should buy the speakers with 

175+140+140  W

And not the 

200+150+150 W

Which is the  Pure Acoustics set. 

Is it so ?

And did you hear anything about the quality of Peerless of  Pure Acoustics ? 

·
Registered
29,065 Posts

Quote:
concerning the watts, my understanding is that the watts of the AVR and the speakers must be as close as possible.

Not necessarily. I have a Harman Kardon receiver that is 50W x 7 and my speakers can handle up to 200 watts. I'm never gonna push my receiver hard enough to turn the volume that high. 50W is actually a lot of power unless you're playing your system in a very large room.

Many speakers specs will recommend an amp between 20W and 100W, 150W or 200W. That doesn't mean you need to buy a receiver that puts out 200W/channel when 20-50W will suffice.

Good luck find one that puts out that much power anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1496672/which-speakers-to-use-with-the-sony-str-dg700-avr#post_23883589

Not necessarily. I have a Harman Kardon receiver that is 50W x 7 and my speakers can handle up to 200 watts. I'm never gonna push my receiver hard enough to turn the volume that high. 50W is actually a lot of power unless you're playing your system in a very large room.

Many speakers specs will recommend an amp between 20W and 100W, 150W or 200W. That doesn't mean you need to buy a receiver that puts out 200W/channel when 20-50W will suffice.

Good luck find one that puts out that much power anyway.

Thank you very much, your responses were very helpful. 

1 - 9 of 9 Posts