AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Denon AVR 3083. I am ashamed to say that I currently have a Bose AM-6 setup at this time.

I am looking to replace this with a better sounding setup. What is a good setup for $500-600?

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
64 Posts
The 3803 is a great reciever, but I think is an overkill for a $500-600 setup, try always to spend as much as you can in speakers, recievers tend to change very quickly with the new formats and tecnologies. None the less is a great recievers and you wont be disapioneted by its performance.

My advice would be to do it in parts, maybe you can get a good pair of bookshelfs for $500, like Ascends acoustics CMB170 or Rockets RS150 or Axiom M3ti, JBL S38 and probaly you could fit a center channel. Save a little more and get surrounds and sub.

But if you want to get a 5.1 setup for $500 and you dont wish to upgrade in the near future, I think your best option could be,
JBL NSP1 5-piece Home-Cinema Package $250
Sony SA-WX700 250 Watt Active Subwoofer $209

+ Shipping, it will be inside your budget.

Good luck with your setup,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by overkill? Doesn't a higher quality receiver outperform a lesser one even with non high end speakers. I currently have a Sony DRE-925 and I am sure even with the Bose setup I should hear some improvement with the Denon. Unfortunatley I won't get the Denon for another few weeks since it is back ordered.

I also a pair of Advent Baby 2's and Genesis Model 33 (go the humanspeakers.com to see the specs). Should I build something off those or should I just start from scratch.

Thanks.

·
Banned
64 Posts
rvr2k3,

Quote:
What do you mean by overkill? Doesn't a higher quality receiver outperform a lesser one even with non high end speakers.
You are right, a better reciever will give you more power, more conections and flexibility, and most of the times better sound than a lesser reciever. But the biggest improvement you can see are to invest in speakers, not in electronics. Speaker tecnology doesnt change that much with time as of recievers, theres always new formats and upgrades that you can do. IMO you should first stablish a budget, and spend as much as you can on speakers, maybe 2/1. The reciever will only play as good as your speakers can, but your limitation are your speakers.

IMHO, if you want to spend on speakers $600, you should be looking at $300-400 recievers, but thats my opion, you dont have to agree with my thoughts.

Quote:
Unfortunatley I won't get the Denon for another few weeks since it is back ordered.
Since you havent recieved you 3803, maybe you can look at this package from rockets.
Rocket by Onix Extremely Luscious Theater 1 $899

You can get them with a Denon 1804 for $1250.

By no means Im telling you to go this way, the outcome of you setup should be decided by you and you audtioning the speakers you like with the reciever you like, is just some advice.

Take care,

Pablo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up the Denon from the 6th Avenue deal, so it was $698. I picked it up b/c it was too good a deal to pass up.

Should I buy the new stuff piece meal, if so what do you recommend for a sub?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Piece meal is a good way to go. You can get speakers you like better than just settling for what you can afford at one time for a package. What to do first would depend on what your habits are, more movies or music?

Here is what I would do (only my thoughts):

More Movies:
  1. Sub
  2. Center
  3. Fronts
  4. Surrounds
  5. Rear Surrounds (if 6.1 or 7.1)[/list=1]

More Music:
    1. Sub
    2. Fronts
    3. Center
    4. Surrounds
    5. Rear Surrounds (if 6.1 or 7.1)[/list=1]

I am actually in the middle of the latter route myself. :)

Just a thought.

·
Registered
365 Posts
For under $400, you could start with the Athena Point 5 MKII which is a 5 speaker setup perfect for music. Then add a sub later (either an Athena AS-P300, AS-P400, or any other brand) for movies.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
rvr2k3,

If you can squeeze a bit more out of your budget, you might be interested in the ACI ELT system. They seem to have a decent reputation in this forum, though I personally have never listened to them. A 5.1 system is $899, but it's possible to go piece meal here, too, and stay within your budget. I believe that these fall into their 30 day return policy, so if you don't like them, you're only out shipping costs.

-Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to research the sub thing. I am looking for the home theater route. So I think, sub then center will be the plan. I am gonna look at the SVS, Velodynes and some HSUs first. Anyone know of any good listening stores on Long Island?

BTW, the new Denon sounds great even with the Bose AM-6. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.