AVS Forum banner

Which one of these BR players do you feel should win the "Mr. Reliability" Award?

• Panasonic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony

• Samsung

• Pioneer

• LG

• Denon

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll: Which of these brands do you think should win the "Mr Reliability Award?

1 Panasonic

2 Sony

3 Samsung

4 Pioneer

5 LG

6 Denon

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
1. Panasonic BD-10 (by a slim margin). 3 years old, plays every disc.

2. Denon 3800 only a year old but has played every disc

·
Registered
347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/15494074

1. Panasonic BD-10 (by a slim margin). 3 years old, plays every disc.

2. Denon 3800 only a year old but has played every disc

I second the Panasonic (in particular the BD10). I dont have it now, but it NEVER failed to play any disc whatsoever. And it also did DVD-Audio!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to go with Panasonic also...I swear, I have tried out a crap load of BR players and the Panny is the only one that hasn't really disappointed me...Have not tried out the Sony 5000ES yet...I'm waiting on the Pioneer 09 and Oppo.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
"Reliability" is a bit general of a term.

I mean, the BD30 was "reliable" in that it had very few BD-J bugs and thus few playback issues, but on the other hand it was "unreliable" as it had chronic laser failure issues.

Does the OP mean reliability as in hardware holding up, or reliability as in few playback bugs?

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/15494833

"Reliability" is a bit general of a term.

I mean, the BD30 was "reliable" in that it had very few BD-J bugs and thus few playback issues, but on the other hand it was "unreliable" as it had chronic laser failure issues.

Does the OP mean reliability as in hardware holding up, or reliability as in few playback bugs?

That's odd, I have owned about 6 BD-30's over the past 16 months or so (and still have 2 in use in my daughters rooms)...Have never had any such issues with any of them. In regards to your question, I was asking folks opinion on what unit seems to be the most "all around" reliable player. I for one just have to give the nod to the Panny. I have purchased 3 differnt Pioneer models, 2 LG models, 2 Samsung models, 1 Sony and Lord knows I "really" wanted some of them to be reliable, but no such luck... I was really disapointed in Pioneer because I love their receivers (I own 3 Elite models)...But the Pioneers although they look and feel impressive, just couldn't deliver reliability. As soon as they do, I will jump right back aboard the Pioneer ship.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Again though, you still haven't defined reliability. Is it not running into firmware bugs, or having players that have hardware which doesn't break over time?

·
Premium Member
24,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone /forum/post/15494923

But the Pioneers although they look and feel impressive, just couldn't deliver reliability. As soon as they do, I will jump right back aboard the Pioneer ship.

I agree the Pioneer looks the goods but not there best. There new player hopefully will be a winner. Denon 2500BTCI I found at times had some issues but not as much as the Pioneer. Panasonic is the best. A few years ago if you told me that panasonic will deliver an awesome player at a cheap price I would of laughed.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I vote Panasonic. My BD55 has played every disc nearly as well as my PS3

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Panasonic BD10 without a doubt. Handily beat the new Pioneers on reliable playback. Own both & used both. Pioneer with 1.17 is just fine now, but the Panasonic is the energizer bunny here. No quirks - no hiccups - just played every disc I inserted.

Let's not bring up the accusations of Pioneer bashing here.

This is a poll and I voted what I experienced, period!! End of conversation.

ss9001

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Not to subtract from the Panasonic machines, which appear to have a very good record but let me put a word in for Sony.

I have 2 PS3's and a 550 myself. I have also bought 2 PS3's and 2 350's as presents for family members. That is 7 Sony machines. None of these has ever glitched AFAIK.

I wanted to buy Pioneer Elite myself but I haven't been very impressed by their offerings as of yet. Would really like an Elite with rosewood panels to match my Elite LD players. (Alas, none available.)

·
Registered
936 Posts
How does this poll give any indication of which player is more reliable? Obviously the more popular BD players are going to get the most votes. That may not make them the most reliable player. You need to look at how many defects or problems occur in a given sample.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott /forum/post/15497495

How does this poll give any indication of which player is more reliable? Obviously the more popular BD players are going to get the most votes. That may not make them the most reliable player. You need to look at how many defects or problems occur in a given sample.

Sir, with all due respect, I think the "reason" the player became "more popular" is "because" of it's reliability...

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott /forum/post/15497495

Not necessarily, although probably a factor.

-- Samsung has been a very popular choice for Blu-ray players, but they are not showing up well in this poll.

-- Likewise, Sony has consistently outsold Panasonic and been the #1 seller of Blu-ray players, but yet Panasonic shows up as the highest in this list.

-- Finally, Pioneer is showing at nearly 10% in this poll, which I am pretty sure is higher than their market share.

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
I think if your read these boards, the most reliable players are obvious...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.