AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HDTV through time warner cable, using a Scientific Atlanta explorer 3100HD set top box. It converts all signals to 1080i, but I was wondering which stations are actually different in format. Is PBS 1080i or 720p, how about Showtime and HBO? The stations I receive are:

PBS - 1080i?

ABC - 1080i?

CBS - 1080i?

NBC - 1080i?

HBO - 1080i?

SHOWTIME - 1080i?

It kind of bothers me that my set, a Sony KV40-XBR700 can only receive 480p and 1080i, it cannot receive 720p, but I imagine all the cable boxes will be able to convert 720p to 1080i in the future, as well as HD-DVD's etc.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
ABC and ESPN HD are 720p. All others are 1080i except Fox which dose not do HDTV only the lowly EDTV. Also good use of the term convert. Many people say (type) up convert which is not correct.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the fact that my television cannot handle a 720p signal a big problem for me? I spent a ton on the thing not long ago. Will most HDTV type devices, (HD-DVD etc) be able to output everything 1080i, as my set top box does?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

Originally posted by uzun

Is the fact that my television cannot handle a 720p signal a big problem for me?

No.

I
[ Will most HDTV type devices, (HD-DVD etc) be able to output everything 1080i, as my set top box does?

Probably unless it does not upconvert 480i DVDs to 1080i, however in that case, your hdtv should be able to disaply the 480i in some way.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
> ABC and ESPN HD are 720p. All others are 1080i except Fox which dose not do HDTV

But note that while these are the native formats for the different networks, that may not be what is actually transmitted by your local station. For example, ABC's Dallas affiliate converts the 720p signal to 10980i prior to transmission -- although I think they are the only one that does so. Fox programming is apparently being converted into 720p or 1080i by several affiliates, which could result in a better picture on most televisions depending on the quality of the equipment used to do the upconversion at the local station.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
As pointed out above, see the HDTV Programming Synopsis.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Even though ABC Network broadcasts 720p my local affiliate converts it to 1080i using much better commercial grade converters than any consumer grade options. It hasn't had noticable problems compared to the native 1080i from NBC, CBS or PBS. Glad I didn't go to any trouble to get a native 720p capable HDTV. It would be useless in my local situation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond
ABC's Dallas affiliate converts the 720p signal to 10980i prior to transmission.
Man, I'm moving to Dallas. Does Faroudja make a chipset that can play this back at 5490p? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.