AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the Sony 34XBR800 and I must say I am very pleased so far. However, I have not yet had the chance to experience HDTV, as I have not yet bought the STB. I will be using the STB for DirecTV and OTA. My three options are:

Hughes HIRD-E86 ($499 - BestBuy)

Samsung SIR-TS160 ($599 - BestBuy)

Sony HD-200 ($799 - Tweeter)

I say these are the three options because these are the three can I know I can buy. I put a deposit on a Sony HD-200 at Tweeter that should be in the store on Dec. 6. However, I have no idea which of the three models is the best? or would all three work the same? is the Sony worth paying more for? etc.

I used this site for months before settling on the 34XBR800. However, I have not been able to locate the holy grail post(s) on this topic. But maybe I was not searching properly and a thread already exists that I can be pointed to. Bottom line is that I have not a clue about any of the three STBs listed above and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think you'll find a lot of people recommending the Sony 200, or the Zenith 520 (they are both basically the same STB, from the same manufacturer). $799 is too much to pay for the Sony. It can be purchased for $699, or less. The Zenith can be purchased for even less (I've recently seen it for $608).

Chucko

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where have you seen these STBs listed for lower? I would try the Internet but I am a little worried. Any advice on where to purchase? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You may want to consider the 169time modified dtc100 at www.169time.com For some reason Ken wont put it on his list.

It will do what you want, where the three you asked about wont if you

want to record HDTV.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read many posts comparing the HIRD-E86 Platinum with the Samsung TS160 and it seems my experience differs from most I've read on this forum. The prices I paid at Best Buy, however, seem comparable with the ones you quote above.

I've used the E86 for about 3 months with a Toshiba 34HX80 for both DirecTV and OTA. For numerous reasons (poor SD picture quality, marginal OTA reception, heat, etc.) I decided to try a newer model STB and purchased the the TS160.

In my experience, the Samsung (while more expensive) is much better in all areas. SD quality from DirecTV is good now in 10801 mode, OTA tuning is much better (receiving more stations and locks better with weak signals from an indoor antenna), audio quality is better, runs much cooler, and the program quide is better.

I've not experienced any of the difficulties I've read about with the possible exception of high chroma in HD mode. So far I'm glad I switched.

John

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Who really cares about the price of the DTC100. It just works.

I dont see people returning the 169time dtc100. I sure am reading lots of people returning the samsung 165. If something doesnt work well, who cares what the price is.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.