Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to add my third Directv STB (2nd with HD) and I'm not sure which way to go. The Sony HD200 looks very nice but it's very high priced. Then there are the two Samsung units (t160 and t165) and I really dont know which is better or what the difference is between them. I found a PDF user guide for the t165 and it looks like the DVI output had NO output resolution selection to it yet the RBG output does. Further it does not state what the DVI output sends for a rez. This new unit will be for my bedroom and I would like to connect it via DVI to a new Samsung 17" widescreen monitor which would look best at 720p, it's native resolution. I sent RBG 1080i to it from my RCA DTC-100 and it was nice but when I connected it via DVI to my desktop computer the results were much better.

Anyway if you guys could help me decide it would be great.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well the first thing to do is scratch the 165 off the list if you're looking for a DirecTv unit.. because it's an OTA only box.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, did not notice that about the t165, well that's one gone. I searched around a bit more and found out that the t160 can actually output 720p via the DVI port as can the Sony H200 and the Zenith.

I guess what I'm looking to hear are thoughts on actual use of these units. I have read the LONG threads and learned a lot there, sure looks like most of the problems are gone now. I'm interested in hearing things like how fast are the menu's and is it user friendly to operate, something I think RCA missed big time on the DTC.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The Sony & Zenith are the same box. Your choice is between one of them or the Samsung.

The S/Z boxes recently received a software upgrade, you may want to review that topic to see how it's being received.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you could wait, Zenith will be releasing the HDV430 and SAT530 this fall. Both should have DVI output.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sony/Zenith smokes Samsung in program guide sorting speed. It could take over a minute to sort out all of the racing, for example. The Sony's "cascading" guide structure is nearly instantaneous. This alone seals the deal for me (plus, I couldn't get Samsung's DVI/HDCP to work with my InFocus 7200 projector).

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlam
If you could wait, Zenith will be releasing the HDV430 and SAT530 this fall. Both should have DVI output.
The SAT530 will be very similar to the SAT520. The most noticeable difference will be that the SAT530 can display 480i and 1080i simultaneously and an IR blaster feature. Expect similar changes with the Sony model.

In fact, there are 5 new Zenith STB's on the way (only the SAT530 having a DirecTV tuner).

·
Registered
365 Posts
What's an IR blaster feature? Do you mean an "IR in" phono plug socket on the back? That's the only thing I wish my HD200 had. The stick-on flasher I installed just looks tacky...

Todd/Indy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.