AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am getting ready to buy a STB to match with my TW65X81.

I am only going to use it presently for OTA.

Considering price and features which would be the best one to buy:

DST-3000

RCA DTC-100

Dish 6000

One of the new Hughes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Since you are eligible for the $200 rebate, the Toshiba DST-3000 would be my recommendation. I have a TW65H80, which is not elibible for the $200 rebate, so I'm looking at the Samsung SIR T150, which is an OTA-only decoder box. Tom

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a TW65X81 and I have a Dish 6000 with the 8VSB for OTA. I highly recommend this set up. I have had this for 8 months. However, the 6000 requires a satellite connected even to receive OTA. I love the satellite HBO and Showtime HD.

Rick

·
Registered
533 Posts
For pure OTA, the Samsung SIRT150 works nicely- more sensitive than a DTC-100, and fast operation of the guide and menu's. Yeah, it's not as classy a name brand to have as a Sony or Toshiba, but it works, can be set to output everything in 1080i, 720P, 480P, or 480i, in component or RGB. There are S-Video and composite outputs as well, always active, but the menu/OSD isn't active on those outputs if the res other than 480i is selected. A little pricey currently, but it had the mix of features I wanted, without the drawbacks of the new Panny.

Brand Name isn't everything, ya know! I consdered the Samsung more closely mostly because I've been so impressed with their recent flat panel displays for computer- they're definitly a company on the move, and want to challenge the Japanese giants.

Regards,

Jon

[This message has been edited by JonMarsh (edited 04-04-2001).]

·
Registered
292 Posts
How much is the Samsung SIR T150? Is it best to go this route or the card for HTPC, which I think is $399? I believe the PC card allows recording also thru HTPC.

About the rebate, it expired on 3/31/01 according to Tosh website.

[This message has been edited by Darkside (edited 04-04-2001).]

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have been very interested in going the HTPC route for HDTV also, but so far the HDTV solutions for the PC leave a bit to be desired, and in many cases have DirectShow filter conflicts with popular DVD players. I'm using the Radeon now, with the 4.1 DVD software. If and when someone (Ravisent?) offers a solution integrating DVD playback and HDTV, then I think we'll be out of the woods.

The Telemann DTV solution, at $399, is buggy, and nearly impossible to buy.

The Access DTV solution is $499, and requires a $9.95/month subscription plus internet connection for full functionality and software updates. First year cost would be $620, excluding modem (which I dont' have on HTPC, chuck in another $75) about what I paid for my Samsung DTV tuner.

Someday we'll all look back on this and laugh... I hope!

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had the Mits HD5 for about two weeks and use it for OTA, DirecTV and cable. It has worked very well and the OTA reception has been very good with a simple yagi in the attic (no amplification).

The integrated guide and auto recording work well. However, it does not output SD and HD at the same time so you have to choose. The upconverted SD signal is soft but pleasant on the component outputs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just received my SIR-T150 from J&R the other day and got it all hooked up. After figuring it out, I was quite impressed with it. For starters, there is no noisy fan in it, and picks up all the available channels just fine. Also much slimmer than the DTC-100, and has component connections rather than having to use a breakout cable.

If anyone is looking for OTA only, I would recommend this unit based on my very brief experience with it.

By the way, I saved about $200 through J&R as opposed to the closest dealer to me, including no sales tax! Yeah!! The dealer was asking $100 over MSRP!!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I bought the RCA DTC-100 open-box at Good Guys and have been satisfied. Got it cheap.

I originally used it for OTA and had the usual antenna problems but not the fault of the RCA.

I decided to upgrade to DirecTV. HBO-HD is only $12 a month! The dish installation was trivial and works just fine.

I was going to buy the Telemann Hipix. Since I am a computer type I thought I could deal with all of the bugs and hassles but I decided even my own tolerance for this was insufficient.

I recommend the RCA because: 1) it works, 2) can be bought cheaply, 3) can allow upgrade to DirecTV later if you decide, and 4) has probably the best overall reputation for reliability on this forum.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
I decided to upgrade to DirecTV. HBO-HD is only $12 a month! The dish installation was trivial and works just fine.
Didja do this installation yourself? Told ya it was easy. HBO-HD for only $12 a month is a great bargain!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
No, I had cold feet after the problems with OTA.

I hired a guy. I watched him do it, and I sure could do it again myself.

The main tricks: getting it level, and getting the right inclination.

He did have a neat box that measures signal strength. He suggested that if I do it again, I should schlep up a receiver and small TV onto the roof to assist in tuning.

The DBS works more reliabily than the OTA! And I tried a whole gaggle of antennas and preamps in order to get where I'm at.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dish 6000:

Dish Network offers HBO-HD, ShowTime-HD, all day HD-PPV,and all day HDTV Demo Loop.

$298.95 @ http://www.allsat.com

------------------

Marque Dailey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.