AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the JVC HM-DH30000U is an "HD-capable" VCR. In order to record HD, though, it uses i.Link IEEE 1394 input. I cannot find, however, any OTA receiver that has that output. Does anyone know of any? I am going to buy an OTA receiver but would like it to work with future VCRs.

On another note, will HD-VCRs ever be able to take component input or is the A/D conversion just too much?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peter0302
On another note, will HD-VCRs ever be able to take component input or is the A/D conversion just too much?
No, I'm guessing it's the notion to some folks that making HD recordings that easily with the existing HD receivers in the field is whats too much.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I meant shipping by an established manufacturer, not custom modifications done by a third party that are not supported by the manufacturer. I also woud not include something that works for OTA only on a satellite STB.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess the question then becomes: What's in the pipeline to come out in the near future? I know Zenith has a new receiver coming out but the earliest details don't seem to show that it will have firewire. The obvious question is JVC - it seems like if you were selling a vcr that requires a firewire input then you would also be selling a receiver that had firewire output. Also, how does the Mitsubishi D-VHS input scheme work? Does it have component inputs?

dave

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is truly amazing. We have a Digital VHS recorder, and nothing that can output in the format that the recorder takes in!

Now I was just a wee lad when VCR/VTRs came out, but as I recall they were actually USEFUL when they were first sold. Sounds like the JVC HD-VCR right now is just a $1000 paperweight. This is ludicrous.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like the JVC HD-VCR right now is just a $1000 paperweight. This is ludicrous.
Thats exactly how I see it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
JVC has their TU9000 STB reportedly coming out this summer that will have firewire. Also Samsung has announced a STB to come out soon that will have firewire. There are no STB now but seversl are coming soon. Also available now there are several integrtated sets with HDTV tuners that have firewire and will interface to HD VCRs. Mitsubishi has 5 of these sets.

Rick R

·
Registered
302 Posts
Peter0302,

There is another forum here at AVSF that has LOTS about this topic.

I believe the DTC100 169time conversion only does OTA, not DirecTV, but that might be old data. HNick

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rick_R,

Samsungs box is the SIR-T165 for OTA, MSRP $699. Due out in June according to Twice ( http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....ndustryid=1093 ).

The JVC TU9000 timing slipped to September at the soonest. Also Dish has a PVR 921 scheduled due out at the end of the year. There is some doubt as to if it will make that date, or be made at all.

-----------------Dave

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

Currently the only sorce for recording HDTV to D-VHS is Mitsubishi Intergated HDTVs. For the current Mits HD Upgradable sets, the Promise Module will be release in September.

There is news that Dish will introduce a Firewire enabled STB later this year. This STB will be for exclusive use with Mitsubishi'e Intergated HDTVs and those Mits sets upgraded with the Promise Module.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.