AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for a pair of Hi-fi floor standing speakers for music and movies.

Here are my main goals:

-rich orchestra sound that fills the room without being too loud

-solo instrument, especially cello

-solo voice, pop, R&B, classical

Room size: 14' x 13' x 9' (ceiling) (another room is 20' x 13' x 9', but that would be used far less frequently)

With respect to movies, if I had to pick between speakers that deliver amazing special effects, and ones that deliver a full beautiful orchestral score, I'd choose the latter.

Price range is $500-$1000, but I'd prefer closer to $500 if there wasnt a huge quality difference.

I am a bit on the fence about adding a sub-woofer. Out of all the "special effects" sounds, I like the big deep room vibrating thunder rumbling by far the best. Again, not super loud as long as its full and fills the room, sensitive ears lol : (

But of main importance to me is the orchestral score. If its more cost effective to get better stereo speakers that have decent bass and forgo the sub-woofer, ill go that route.

Thanks

Aside: I love how the pictures of the RF II Klipschs look, mainly the copper colored cones. Are there other speakers that have that style of cone?

I also like the flat black cones. However I do not like the common two-tone black/white, black/yellow cones. I think they remind me too much of the Target insignia. Would replacing cones be a doable DIY project?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the Energy CF-70s and I think they really shine on the type of music that you listen to. Of course I am partial and you may get 20 different opinions and all of them may be nice speakers, but for the discount that you can get these at I think you will be very happy with them.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...79143/#Reviews

They were just on sale for $250ea. which is the price range you are looking at, but I cant seem to get the promo code (amexaudio) to work for them now. Call Vanns and I am almost positive they will sell them for $250 or you may get lucky and get them for less. I have had them for just over a month now and I can say they are the best speakers I have ever owned. The only thing I will say though is that I listen to more heavy music and they are a little bright for my taste on that, but being from New Orleans I do have a love for jazz and blues and I can tell you that I havent listened to so much jazz in the last month of owning these than I have in the last 10 years. Thats where these speakers shine and why I think they could be a good fit for you.

I would also suggest that you look into getting the Energy CC-10 for a center channel for any kind of movie/tv watching you do as I have no complaints on this combo when watching movies and the CC-10 is the matching center for the CF-70s. From your listening preference you may also want to get a sub as I think a sub is essential in any HT/music experience and I would think any descent sub would suffice at mid to lower listening levels, but do your research first and find what you feel fits you and your budget.

I hope that helps, good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints /forum/post/20899963

I have the Energy CF-70s and I think they really shine on the type of music that you listen to. Of course I am partial and you may get 20 different opinions and all of them may be nice speakers, but for the discount that you can get these at I think you will be very happy with them.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...79143/#Reviews

They were just on sale for $250ea. which is the price range you are looking at, but I cant seem to get the promo code (amexaudio) to work for them now. Call Vanns and I am almost positive they will sell them for $250 or you may get lucky and get them for less. I have had them for just over a month now and I can say they are the best speakers I have ever owned. The only thing I will say though is that I listen to more heavy music and they are a little bright for my taste on that, but being from New Orleans I do have a love for jazz and blues and I can tell you that I havent listened to so much jazz in the last month of owning these than I have in the last 10 years. Thats where these speakers shine and why I think they could be a good fit for you.

I would also suggest that you look into getting the Energy CC-10 for a center channel for any kind of movie/tv watching you do as I have no complaints on this combo when watching movies and the CC-10 is the matching center for the CF-70s. From your listening preference you may also want to get a sub as I think a sub is essential in any HT/music experience and I would think any descent sub would suffice at mid to lower listening levels, but do your research first and find what you feel fits you and your budget.

I hope that helps, good luck and happy hunting!

For a budget, those are good speakers, I agree. To get the $250 price on the CF-70s, you put in the promo code: energy at http://www.vanns.com/shop/promo It'll also give you the CC-10 for $199

The CF-70s normally sell for $500 each and the CC-10 for $300.

If you have patience and you want supreme quality for a speaker that can play all of the above, wait until October and Vanns will have the discontinued Energy RC-70 tower in stock for $600 each. Those are supreme towers for music, as their frequency range is incredible and the sound is neutral and not bright. Although Saints made a great point of saying that your kind of music might want a bright touch to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Consider KEF, Wharfedale, Monitor, B&W, so many options in this range. You should go to a shop and spend some time auditioning.

The Wharfedale EVO2 line is on closeout at MusicDirect right now. I'm very happy with the EVO2 bookshelves I got.

A sub is definitely a good idea. Many options and threads about subs, look around. Specifically Rythmik is very highly recommended as very musical and still affordable. The lower end model is Currently on sale.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help : )

How would it work to postpone getting a center channel speaker? I've read one of the main purposes of the center speaker is to make the dialogue come from the middle of the screen (where the actors are). But I have never had a center speaker before, and haven't really noticed a problem with dialogue (I probably just don't know what I'm missing).

Also, if most of the dialogue is played on a small $300 speaker, wouldn't it lose some depth compared to being played on two $500 speakers? For example, might it have trouble producing a powerful low male voice?, or are some of those frequencies delegated to other speakers?

Do you know how long the sale will go?

Also, how might the CF-70s compare to the klipsh rf II 42/52 selling at similar prices?

And what would be a good receiver for the CF-70s? Could I temporarily use an old Kenwood KA-70 stereo AMP? (50 watts per channel at 8ohms)

pics here:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...and_kt50_tuner

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
No problem

Center: postpone if you want, just try to get one that sonically matches the L/R or you might gear the difference. Example: Klipsch has centers at every size in the reference line, while Wharfedale has one center for the entire EVO line. Price has little to do with it outside of having the drivers sound similar enough that you don't notice.

Sales: the closeout Wharfedale EVO2s will eventually be gone. When? I have no idea. The energy RC line has been on and off sale for a while, the folks in the energy thread might be able to make some predictions.

If you are willing to consider used, one can get great values. Audiogon.com is the place to go in the US.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked on the warfedale at the stor you mentioned and the page wasn't found. Do you have a link.

Do you have any speaker specific tips/ pros cons for going the used route?

I read a review on the energy cf-70 that said they were a bit tinny in high registers and lacked "immediacy" in mids and were not so good for classical music. But I suspect there are wide variances of opinions on speakers, and people will here them differently. This will be hard : (

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes it will be hard, my recent buying experience took a few weeks and was nerve racking because it was my first real speaker purchase. Get out to a shop and listen- there's no better way to know what you like and don't like.

That said, I wish I had the space and funds for a pair of EVO2-50's:
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.as...WHARFEDALE+EVO

Used: stick to reliable, well rated sellers on well known sites/forums. Granted everyone needs to make that first sale to start building a rep, but just be cautious and get lots of clear pictures. Research the item first - reviews, opinions, residual value, etc.

Internet buying: try to stick with places that have good return policies. In almost every case you will have to pay shipping both ways, but an in-home audition is invaluable. Just be sure to give things a good 100 hours or so of playing time before making a decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.