AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 52" Samsung LCD TV. Bought it new last year at fry's electronics. I am just wondering... what do I clean it with? I heard that you need to use a microfiber cloth... but which one? Also, what cleaner should be sprayed on the cloth?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The best I have found is a 50/50 mix of water and pure isopropyl alcohol.

Cleans off everything, evaporates fast and is streak free.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A lot of people use an alcohol/deionized water mixture, but I'm not crazy about using anything harsh like that. I guess if you're a smoker that would be the only thing to remove the tar. I use plain deionized water and a microfiber for gentle cleaning, or a product called OmniCleanz. It's not cheap, but I don't use it that often. There's no alcohol, ammonia or anything harsh.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
do a search here on AVS- thisQ? comes up "Often".

btw: I have a/one bottle of this that has lasted for a number of years. - spray the cloth not the display....

* optimax.us

Very good stuff

·
Registered
791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaycoolJr /forum/post/19656115

Ok so deionized, demineralized, distilled water? All three of those things?

Demineralized Water is enough to clean and is safe to use in tvs.

And the microfiber cloth, you can buy one in an electronics shop, tell the salesman you will use it to clean your tv.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just use distilled water from the grocery store. I bought nice microfiber towels in bulk years ago from a link provided on an auto detailing forum known as autopia. It wasn't any kind of boutique brand, just some Korean guy selling them. They're much better than I've seen in any store. If I were buying some now, that's where I'd look.

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaycoolJr /forum/post/19669665

But is distilled water... er, deionized? Don't know much about chemistry, I'm afraid.

distilled is fine deionized is not necessary

the best advise is not to clean the screen unless necessary: and do it very lightly only as needed

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Yeah I won't be cleaning unless it is necessary. But unfortunately I got some handprints on mine some how... i don't know how. Gotta get 'em off.

So to sum up the thread, Distilled water, with a microfiber cloth. Put the water on the cloth first.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaycoolJr /forum/post/19674213

Thanks. Yeah I won't be cleaning unless it is necessary. But unfortunately I got some handprints on mine some how... i don't know how. Gotta get 'em off.

So to sum up the thread, Distilled water, with a microfiber cloth. Put the water on the cloth first.

That should do the trick. Both of my Samsungs came with a microfiber cloth and also said to use distilled water. By the way, the instructions also say not to wipe in a circular motion, just wipe in one direction in long horizontal or vertical sweeps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am I wrong for using my 50/50 mix of distilled water and distilled white vinegar?

This is what I found in my research a few years back and have been using for LCD PC monitors and my LCD TV ever since. Along with a soft microfiber cloth, I've had good results and no problems.

I've also heard that you should NEVER use alcohol. Maybe at a 50% mixture it might not be a problem, but I wouldn't use it unless gentler methods failed first.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor54 /forum/post/19676746

Am I wrong for using my 50/50 mix of distilled water and distilled white vinegar?

This is what I found in my research a few years back and have been using for LCD PC monitors and my LCD TV ever since. Along with a soft microfiber cloth, I've had good results and no problems.

I've also heard that you should NEVER use alcohol. Maybe at a 50% mixture it might not be a problem, but I wouldn't use it unless gentler methods failed first.

Your "research a few years back" may have been targeted at CRT screens rather than LCDs (admittedly, this is just a guess on my part).

However, vinegar is an acid. That's what is recommended for cleaning lime scale out of coffee makers. If you want to rub acid on your TV screen, have at it. I never have any problem getting mine clean with plain water, thank you.

I do agree that I wouldn't use alcohol either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
this is driving me to distraction too. There is some kind of greasy film on my new hx800 and nothing can remove it.

plain filtered water first. just moves it around. got some distilled water tonite. same as before. tried a bit of monster screen cleaner and that was no help at all.

sony says to use a soft cloth and mild soapy water to clean. but what is a mild soap?

is dish soap mild? Cant believe how hard it is to clean the screen on this set.

the older 32sony xbr6 screen comes up shiney streak free clean using the same solution as above. is the monolithic screen glass? i am seriously thinking of returning this TV and get a monolith screen.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok /forum/post/19772636

this is driving me to distraction too. There is some kind of greasy film on my new hx800 and nothing can remove it.

plain filtered water first. just moves it around. got some distilled water tonite. same as before. tried a bit of monster screen cleaner and that was no help at all.

sony says to use a soft cloth and mild soapy water to clean. but what is a mild soap?

is dish soap mild? Cant believe how hard it is to clean the screen on this set.

the older 32sony xbr6 screen comes up shiney streak free clean using the same solution as above. is the monolithic screen glass? i am seriously thinking of returning this TV and get a monolith screen.

That sucks about LCD's is that it's not easy to clean the display without worrying of damaging the screen. But Sony's Monolithic design looks great and helps with all those smudges on the screen!

I have the NX810 and the front is glass. I used only distilled water and wiped it with a microfiber cloth and all was good!

The new Sony Monolithic have Gorilla Glass, so you can scrub it all you want!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malagant /forum/post/19650282

The best I have found is a 50/50 mix of water and pure isopropyl alcohol.

Cleans off everything, evaporates fast and is streak free.

I second that. Used it on all my LCD/LED's as well as computer screens with no issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts