1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67
What you need that for?
To browse webpages with embedded videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67
For example WDTV Live has and app for youtube. No "browser" thou... For that are PC's, laptops, Android tablets and phones...
Yeah I have a live, and no, I'm not using PC's etc. A hardware streamer which can fit under the Tv and doesn't need running maintenance is what I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr99
Google TV has a chrome browser with flash.
Yeah thanks. Don't sell it where I am, not yet anyway

·
Registered
567 Posts
What country are you at if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Boxee Box and GoogleTV are the main ones.

There are some Android based media players out there with Flash but they are;

A) Very difficult to get hold of.

B) Flash performance can be dismal depending upon the underlying hardware.

Just some extra info there are 3 main Android players out there

1) AndroidTV (small black box) there are truck loads of clones of these, originates from China has a 800Mhz-1Ghz Samsung Arm CPU, can handle low res Flash video & not a very good media player in general. You can find these clones in various online stores across the world like ones that focus on selling stuff from China or eBay should have them.

2) SmartTV ( Geniatech boxes) not related to 1 as far as I know, very rare and hard to get hold of outside of China. Is going to be sold under other various names like Gocal SmartTV in Netherlands & other territories I guess. Meritline in the USA sell the ATV1000 entry level model as MyGica who are the consumer arm of Geniatech. Capable Amilogic chipsets in these players and even better chipsets in the higher end models, actually used for linux network media players in China, XBMC devs have also been tinkering with one.

3) Marvell players, these are based off a Blu-ray player chipset Marvell sells that can also run Android but lacks a GPU so it's limited in what Android apps it can use but handles Flash video, the media player Marvell supply is gimped in some ways so your not going to be playing Blu-ray ISO images through it unless the vendor developers their own separate software player. If your in Germany the Meteorit MMB-322 is already available and uses this chipset, USA has Nixeus Fusion which sounds to be the more well developed of the two. There are a 2 or 3 more out there but the name I forget, anyway not easy to get a hold of these players unless sold locally.

Others, HD-X Bone - don't waste your time, Android 2.1 and lame media player, Tizzbird most promising but not available, TviX Xroid A1 - unknown not out yet, use a Sigma Designs chipset which has a MIPS CPU instead of normal Arm CPU used for Android [Sigma ported Android to their chipsets], no idea if it even supports Flash or how well it runs.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The thing is that many people say "I want flash". When they actually want youtube. Or when they want Hulu HD.

This toys don't have enough horsepower for HD flash.

An Adroid tablet based on Tegra 2 can do easy that kind of task. And it fits anywhere. You just need to find one with HDMI native output - some of them require a dock for that.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 /forum/post/20817337

The thing is that many people say "I want flash". When they actually want youtube. Or when they want Hulu HD.

An Adroid tablet based on Tegra 2 can do easy that kind of task. And it fits anywhere. You just need to find one with HDMI native output - some of them require a dock for that.

No doubt the tablets with Tegra 2 can do HD flash... but it lacks in terms of comprehenisve file format supports like MKVs and ISOs that would hinder it from being a serious media player/streamer.

Have you seen the Nixeus Fusion XS' recent beta testing video? It shows them test streaming Live Star Craft 2 battle and HD Video Flash from justin.tv

Here you go I found it:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20816280

What country are you at if you don't mind me asking?

Small Kingdom in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 /forum/post/20816485

Boxee Box and GoogleTV are the main ones.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Guess I'm going to stay with my Buggy Box for the foreseeable future then.

Quote:

Yeah, I'd generally like the potential to see any site without having to use a 'real' computer.

Quote:

Yeah I have a Transformer, only tried it briefly - didn't immediately look impressive (is there up sampling in those?) but mostly there would be a problem with remote control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20818176

Have you seen the Nixeus Fusion XS' recent beta testing video? It shows them test streaming Live Star Craft 2 battle and HD Video Flash from justin.tv

Here you go I found it:

Interesting that others are making a player with Android (even if its only 2.2) - and since Google hasn't seem to be able to do it right there is clearly a market there - though they need to allow for people to install their own apps on it - that is a potential winner - assuming they have a properly powerful chip.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 /forum/post/20819766

Transformer doesn't take a USB keyboard/mouse (to use wireless ones)? It's own keyboard I think is too expensive.

I have a Viewsonic Gtablet and can use it like that.

I don't quite understand your message - were you asking something?

Are you saying you can stream my link without stutter on your tablet?

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut /forum/post/20818931

Also,

take a page like http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/live-stream/

Plays on the Transformer, but stutters a lot and displays the message "Video not optimized for mobile"

or on the Boxee Box where it doesn't display at all and is just a black box (where the video should be)

I'm going to forward your link to Nixeus to see if they can get it to works on their XS

·
Registered
567 Posts
I got a response back from them stating that the "video does not start or play, but we are in the final stages of optimizing our Fuision XS' google chrome browser so we may try again on our next beta firmware update"

- so I guess it is similar to what you are experiencing with your Boxee Box by D-Link?

If you have any other web video links that you would like them to test you should e-mail them, they are pretty responsive to the media player community and their suggestions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20831801

I got a response back from them stating that the "video does not start or play, but we are in the final stages of optimizing our Fuision XS' google chrome browser so we may try again on our next beta firmware update"

- so I guess it is similar to what you are experiencing with your Boxee Box by D-Link?

Probably - though it works in Chrome on the PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20831801

If you have any other web video links that you would like them to test you should e-mail them, they are pretty responsive to the media player community and their suggestions.

Cool. What was their email?

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut /forum/post/20862600

I see they say the Xtreamer Prodigy has a webbrowser, with HTML5 and Flash support.

Now to find some reviews

I don't think it is released yet because I couldn't find any reviews on it... but it would be interesting to see what other players out there can support web streaming and flash video...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut /forum/post/20815196

Which streamers have a Flash browser?

Is Boxee Box the only one?

Perhaps when/if Adobe comes out with an optimized version of Flash for these SoC based players you will find one. For now, I doubt you will. They just aren't powerful enough. What you want is a small, passively cooled HTPC. They don't all need the maintenance that keeps many away and prices are not much more than a decent media player. Heck, even Xtreamer sells one ( there is a thread which talks about it).

philip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.