AVS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'd love to know what I'm doing differently; I'll have to poke around again as I'd given up on that TV. I'm using a Plex server too. And you're running without a receiver? Are you having Plex transcode?
I run through a receiver in the living room and family room systems. The rest of the systems are two channel anyway, so it doesn't matter. I'm not transcoding. Roku is sending DD 5.1 to my receiver.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I used to run a htpc with mymovies. Its was a beast to manage especially when blu ray came around. Im not big on dlna. I like menus and i like full quality, no transcoding. Using dvdfab with anydvd. Or clownbd, or makemkv you can backup a full quality bd and send it to the dune via pc network shares. I prefer straight ISO rips. The dune players support bd menus, full hd audio, forced subs, awesome ff/rw performance and great frontend jukeboxes like zappiti, mymovies, 10muse, or yadis. No apps with the dune tho. Its a straight media-steaming player.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Roku 2 w/headphone input, Amazon Firestick, Sreaming Apps on Panasonic 60ST60 & Sony 5100.

I use the Roku the most, and will most likely upgrade it next year although I have no problems whatsoever w/the Roku 2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rokus are good for some people but you will only see what ROKU lacks if you try a different more powerful device.

Fire TV currently has mos of the big name apps Roku has and you can install Kodi on it, so it wins hands down for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I guess, I'm more of a news junkie then anything. I've got a mini hard drive USB attached to my Smart Hub full of stuff I rarely watch. There's just so much on the internet, youtube, OTA, & I also like HULU+, that I think "What do I need to record"? I had liked DirectTV when they gave you an 8 screen presentation of Sports & NEWS channels, but then they dropped NEWS & I immediately dropped them! Oh yeah, and now I'm afflicted with the AVSFORUM as well...lol:)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Rokus are good for some people but you will only see what ROKU lacks if you try a different more powerful device.

Fire TV currently has mos of the big name apps Roku has and you can install Kodi on it, so it wins hands down for me.
I have both the Roku 3 and FireTV. The big missing app for me on the FireTV is VUDU and the lack of 60fps support for video. The SlingTV app video quality is way better on the Roku as streams such as ESPN are 60fps instead of 30fps on the FireTV.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have both the Roku 3 and FireTV. The big missing app for me on the FireTV is VUDU and the lack of 60fps support for video. The SlingTV app video quality is way better on the Roku as streams such as ESPN are 60fps instead of 30fps on the FireTV.
Got VUDU on Smart Hub. As far as fps...beats me?

·
Registered
693 Posts

Define power. If your main priority is playing back uncompressed Blu-Ray rips, then I agree. Roku is not for you. If your priority is streaming services, there is no "more powerful" box. Roku has the most app support. If you want good local media support for stuff other than uncompressed Blu-Ray rips, Plex or Media Browser running on Roku is great.

The problem with most of the "more powerful" boxes of which you speak is that they are only suitable for local media.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Define power. If your main priority is playing back uncompressed Blu-Ray rips, then I agree. Roku is not for you. If your priority is streaming services, there is no "more powerful" box. Roku has the most app support. If you want good local media support for stuff other than uncompressed Blu-Ray rips, Plex or Media Browser running on Roku is great.

The problem with most of the "more powerful" boxes of which you speak is that they are only suitable for local media.
I agree jablomi. You cant have both. There is not one box that does it "all". I rely on my sony bd player , xboxs, and ps3 for my apps: hbo go, netflix, amazon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts