AVS Forum banner

Which streaming devices do you now use primarily for your viewing?

• Amazon Fire TV

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Apple TV

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • ChromeCast

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nvidia Shield

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Roku

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Smart TV Built-in Apps

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized that AVS allows threads with polls. Not sure if that's always been the case or if it's new with the recent forum change.

So there are a lot of streaming devices -- boxes, sticks, dongles etc. -- out there now.

We could break it down to specific devices, like all generations of Apple TV or Roku or Fire TV, etc.

But to start with, a higher level view of the ecosystem or family of devices might be a good start to get an idea of where AVS members are.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have both a 4th gen Apple TV and ChromeCast Ultra (second gen) on the bedroom TV. But use Apple TV most of the time.

Probably would look at the next Apple TV whenever it's released but waiting to see what the consensus is on the new ChromeCast with Android TV that just came out.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have the ATV4K and the new 2019 Nvidia Shield. Both are excellent but I use the ATV4K most of the time. Partly due to me having lots of movies on iTunes but mostly because it’s faster and trouble free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Shield TV Pro '17 running GTV launcher... it does 4K24 HDR for my Epson projector and Atmos from Vudu. Just wish Disney+ hadn't taken away Atmos support for some and not other for unexplained reasons. If Vudu and Disney+ get their app act together for the Chromecast w/ GTV, it may displace the Shield from the theater.

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
ATV4K here.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small sample size on the votes but the two highest choices so far are the most expensive devices?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use the Nvidia Shield (2017) and Roku. The Roku is used the most!
My new Roku 2020 just arrived so I will be playing around with it soon.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Right now I'm using the Roku OS on my TCL TV, but I am looking forward to getting the new Chromecast eventually in the future, probably around Black Friday.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Right now I'm using the Roku OS on my TCL TV, but I am looking forward to getting the new Chromecast eventually in the future, probably around Black Friday.
The CC + GTV seems promising from a hardware standpoint and I really like the new GTV Launcher, but some of the core apps (Disney+, Vudu) have some catching up to do with major limitations (HDX only from Vudu, no Atmos from D+). If you don't have Atmos, though, the limitations don't really apply (MA and Play Movies do 4K HDR just fine) and I'm optimistic they'll be remedied in the coming months anyway.

Reactions: Zoland2020

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Roku, but until I got a Fire Stick recently (for S&G) I've not tried any other.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I got the new Google TV Chromecast recently, so I've shifted from 50/50 with FTV and Roku to 80% GTVCC. Just using the Roku for CBS All Access to get 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poll shows so far that the more expensive, enthusiast devices are most used by those who've voted.

Not surprising but probably the reverse of real-life market share.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Poll shows so far that the more expensive, enthusiast devices are most used by those who've voted.

Not surprising but probably the reverse of real-life market share.
I can’t speak for everyone but before I got to the ATV4K’s (I have 3) and Nvidia Shields (I have 2) I went through PlayStation, Fire TV, TV apps and Roku. I am happy where I ended up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah forgot about the consoles.

There must be a fair number of them being used.

·
Registered
89 Posts
AppleTV 4K for me, I also have a Google Chromecast Ultra for my Google Play movies but Google pretty much sucks for movie streaming and really wished we could port our digital copies over to Apple. I’m actually not buying 4K blu rays anymore because in Canada most of the studios force Google Play on us, if I had the choice for Apple, I‘d still buy 4K Blu Ray. iTunes has been getting a lot of business from me tho and really happy with the video and audio quality I get from iTunes I’d say it’s 95% of the 4K Blu Ray.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have both an ATV4K and a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro. Love them both, but now find myself using the Shield most often due to its ability to bitstream native audio (and now Dolby Vision using the new Plex beta), from my own personal library.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts